Hardware comparison

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MonkeyPrince, Jan 10, 2012.

1. MonkeyPrince

MonkeyPrince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Please could anyone tell me how the following systems would compare in day to day performance. I'm just after approximate info of course

Dell Dimension E520 Desktop with Intel Core 2 CPU 4300 @1.8GHz 3GbRam running Vista

Dell Inspiron 15R 5110 with Intel Core i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHZ Intel HD Graphics 3000 running Windows 7

Thanks

2. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +436
    one is a desktop and one sounds like a laptop with that CPU. The first one is a very old computer worth less than £100, the second one is a current pretty high spec and is vastly better in every way.

For doing web browsing or word processing for example they would both perform admirably but much more than that then the first one would show it's age

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  3. MonkeyPrince

MonkeyPrince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Thanks for the reply, sorry but I should have said that I already own the desktop (it's around 5 years old), and I'm thinking about upgrading to the laptop.

Given the newer specs on the laptop, I was wondering how much quicker it would be on a day to day basis (file conversion, internet, itunes, office etc).

I know it's virtually impossible to be exact, but I was just hoping for opinions

4. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +436
    I have a few computers of varying specs and to be honest with web browsing you would never know the difference, even MS office works almost as well on an old laptop I use as it does on a new desktop these thing are not that demanding.
    Now something like file conversion you would probably see a big improvement or if you used an app like Photoshop for example it would be much more responsive, this sort of thing would make good use of the extra processing power

5. MonkeyPrince

MonkeyPrince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    So the newer hardware combined with Windows 7 is not exactly gonna blow mine out of the window then?

6. kimmetje

kimmetje

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I think you'll find multi-tasking to be much more smooth on the Inspiron, the processor is a tad bit faster, and you have more RAM to handle multi-tasking.

Windows 7 is reputed to be a more stable platform than Vista.

7. meb95sc

meb95sc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's funny how ypu quickly adjust to the new faster pc and then still find yourself getting frustrated whilst waiting for windows.

8. meb95sc

meb95sc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the proc is going to be a lot faster in terms of flops. Wondows 7 also much better security - XP getting long in the tooth - I should know having just suffered major malware attack!

9. MonkeyPrince

MonkeyPrince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Thanks for all advice and opinions, I'm going to stick with my desktop for a while.