Bargain Hardware bargain thread

Pavement

Yep the WD Blue SN 550 range of NVME M.2 drives are all on offer (1tb £85) and some of the Sabrent ones look like a pretty good deal.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Insane memory prices! Should I get another pair to take me up to 32GB? Decisions decisions.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
You can actually pay for Expert Installation at a higher price than the product itself. I wonder how many people take them up on that offer?!
I bet there's a good few people ,
most if not all of us here know how easy it is the change the RAM ,
but i know a few people that know nothing about PC building or maintaining or even upgrading them, they only know how to turn on the PC and booked a holiday haha

I'm on the look out for a new job , this could be it !!! lol

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
Good buy on the B550 Tomahawk on eBay, Ebuyer at the moment

MooCow

I bet there's a good few people ,
most if not all of us here know how easy it is the change the RAM ,
but i know a few people that know nothing about PC building or maintaining or even upgrading them, they only know how to turn on the PC and booked a holiday haha

I'm on the look out for a new job , this could be it !!! lol

Yeah you are not wrong there. Even people who have used them for years have no idea on the insides, much like a car I guess to the layman vs a mechanic, you drive it, don't fix it.
I gave one of our relatives a bunch of RAM I had (16GB of DDR3 I had in the parts bin) last week. He managed to not push it in the slots right even with a handwritten guide I did for him, specific for his board. And now he has a missing hard disk and a missing CDRW in the BIOS.
I suspect he has knocked out a cable, but I got this video (screenshot below) in return when asking him to check them...

Screenshot_2020-10-27-00-00-08-21.jpg

I have no idea on how to start diagnosing that remotely, and this is his PC he has had for a decade of upgrades by a local "professional" PC shop that has now retired.
I think I counted at least 6 molex to something convertors in the video...
I am still having nightmares about it all TBH

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Yeah you are not wrong there. Even people who have used them for years have no idea on the insides, much like a car I guess to the layman vs a mechanic, you drive it, don't fix it.
I gave one of our relatives a bunch of RAM I had (16GB of DDR3 I had in the parts bin) last week. He managed to not push it in the slots right even with a handwritten guide I did for him, specific for his board. And now he has a missing hard disk and a missing CDRW in the BIOS.
I suspect he has knocked out a cable, but I got this video (screenshot below) in return when asking him to check them...

View attachment 1389467

I have no idea on how to start diagnosing that remotely, and this is his PC he has had for a decade of upgrades by a local "professional" PC shop that has now retired.
I think I counted at least 6 molex to something convertors in the video...
I am still having nightmares about it all TBH
Holly sh*t - that is bad !!
i think it would be easier to remove everything and do a re-build lol

Last edited:

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Good buy on the B550 Tomahawk on eBay, Ebuyer at the moment

Oooooo v tempted to snag that. Will zen 3 drop into that without a bios upgrade? I am coming from intel set up
Edit scratch that eBay price is £21 dearer than everywhere else.

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
Oooooo v tempted to snag that. Will zen 3 drop into that without a bios upgrade? I am coming from intel set up
Edit scratch that eBay price is £21 dearer than everywhere else.

Will need a bios update for new CPU's, where is it cheaper ?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Will need a bios update for new CPU's, where is it cheaper ?
It's £10 cheaper there than elsewhere if you use the code BUT the price has been hugely inflated by over £21 so it isn't the 20% cheaper that it should be using the.code....... for a genuine £35 saving I would possibly buy the mobo now but for £10, I will wait esp as I won't even be able to put a new CPU in it easily. (Loads of places such as scan selling for £159.99 )

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
It's £10 cheaper there than elsewhere if you use the code BUT the price has been hugely inflated by over £21 so it isn't the 20% cheaper that it should be using the.code....... for a genuine £35 saving I would possibly buy the mobo now but for £10, I will wait esp as I won't even be able to put a new CPU in it easily. (Loads of places such as scan selling for £159.99 )

So it’s still £15 cheaper and up until recently the price of the board was £180 at all retailers, so its still a better deal.

francobegbie

Old skool 1TB Samsung SSD and Valhalla £95 , ( free delivery through scan and AVF )

Does anyone know how to set up the free Scan delivery? I've had a quick Google but the page on here seems down/unavailable for me.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know how to set up the free Scan delivery? I've had a quick Google but the page on here seems down/unavailable for me.
I could be wrong but they no longer offer it. If you originally signed up they are still honouring it however

sykotik

Distinguished Member
My apologies , i though the Scan free delivery was still open to new members

just had a look and it does look like it's closed now
Post amended above :)

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Any bargains on the 6800 XT's? :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett