Hardware 1080p upscaler

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by JAW$, Jan 14, 2008.

1. JAW$

JAW$
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, All

I have a Toshiba Regza 42z3030d & have standard Sky+ via the Standard scart socket.

I was thinking of getting SKY HD due to standard sky image looking very pixeley on my HD TV, but didn't due to the price & lack of true HD channels.

I was wondering if any one could recommend me a Hardware 1080p up scaler which I could connect to my Standard Sky+ via scart

My brother in law has just bought a Onkyo 605 just recently & I was just wondering if that was any good for what I want to do. Also I am thing of getting a sound system in the future so I don't mind up scaler & amp in one.

I would appreciate the response

Regards

Jaw$

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    I wouldn't recommend a 1080p scaler if SD Sky channels were your main source.

Many of the channels on satellite are now heavily compressed - and a large number - like the ITV and C4 channels - are broadcast at reduced resolution (544x576 rather than 704 or 720x576) There are a few reasonable quality services - but even the BBC channels are far from great in quality terms these days.

I suspect the only major improvement an external scaler will have over the scaler in your TV is that it will make the blocks and noise artefacts cleaner and more clearly visible - and sharper!

However if you care about image quality for your HD display then you'd be well off with some HD sources - a PS3 running as a BluRay player (currently the only domestic BD player that will be upgraded to the BD v2 profile) or a Sky HD box. If you can wait a month or two then a Freesat HD box might be a better bet. The PS3 will also upconvert DVDs pretty well - the current firmware outperforms a lot of others (though last time I looked still had a bug on 16:9 576/50i releases - i.e. most of them)

All of these are likely to cost a lot less than a half-decent scaler.