Hardrive back up and restore question

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by huxley, Aug 30, 2007.

1. huxley

huxley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Bit long winded but I imagine some bright spark here will have the answer -
    At present I have my HTPC set up with two 500gig sata drives and I`m fast running out of space, both of the drives have media (dvds cds etc) on them. One of the drives has the os (XP MCE 2005) I also have a spare 200gig sata drive.

Ok what I propose to do is make a back up of the os onto a dvd chuck the 200gig drive in and install it onto that, leaving the two 500 gig drives free for media storage. My question is will I be able to browse and delete the original os off of the 500gig drive whilst leaving the media intact.

I`m going to be using Acronis True Imagine 9 which I`ve used on my laptop a few times to do full back ups

Sorry if its a dumb question, I`ve done a fair few mce install / setups but backing up and restore is a bit new to me.

Cheers

2. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    If your boot drive has a single 500gb partition you won't be able to clone it to a 200gb disc if it has more than 200gb of data on it. DVD's won't help, you need enough space on the backup for ALL the data on that partition - about 500gb. Deleting the OS is the least of your problems!

In practice the OS will be using very little space, 10gb would be pretty fat, so what you propose makes little sense. Just whack in the 200gb drive and move data files onto it.

To successfully migrate OS images with Trueimage you need a target drive at least as large as all data on your source partition, the same applies whether Cloning or using a backup. You can make this easier in future by placing the OS in its own small partition - 10gb is a reasonable size for DVD backup, it will usually fit on 1 disk.

You need to look into other tools. Installing MCE on the new drive then using the MS 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard' might do the job.

3. huxley

huxley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Sorry my bad I wasnt planning on transfering all the data to the 200gig drive, just my music and pictures as well as the os (takes up about 155gigs) and then have the 500gig drive for dvds.

4. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    You still won't be able to do it with Trueimage imaging tools, it copies all the data on the partition. It can resize the image but you can't resize a full 500gb drive onto a 200gb target for hopefully obvious reasons! To make it work you need to lose at least 300gb of the data before the transfer.

The alternatives basically involve installing a new OS then restoring a file backup over it. You can try the MS Backup tools 'Automated System Recovery Wizard', or the 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard'. Neither will be fun. This time install the OS in a small partition so Trueimage works...

5. huxley

huxley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Got there in the end - had to dump media to various drives, made the copy over to the 200gig drive cleaned up the 500 one and dumped the media back.
    Cheers for the advise :smashin: