Harddrive on my TV

maxcxa

Standard Member
Hi ,

What is the cheapest device that I can buy to allow me to play movies off a portable USB harddrive on my Samsung LE40N87BDX?

Thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
What is the cheapest device that I can buy to allow me to play movies off a portable USB harddrive on my Samsung LE40N87BDX?

I think you answered your own question with the "portable USB harddrive" bit.

pjam

Get hold of an old Netgem I-Player freeview box. This has a usb port that allows you to connect a removeable disk and watch/listen to films/music.

pjam

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Colin is the only one so far to actually give some good advice!

Offering the OP advice to use a laptop or computer was NOT what the OP was asking for.... sheesh!

maxcxa - this is very easy to do. For about £40 you can buy an external HDD case (you can put in any 3.5" desktop IDE HDD), which will usually have AV (yellow, red + white phono) outputs at least.

I have one I bought a while back that has AV outputs, component (YPrPb - red, blue, green phono) and VGA (15-pin D-Sub) outputs. Plays AVI, MPEG, DVD ripped files (VTS/VOB) MP3, WMA, and I think a few others (can't rememeber if it plays WMA, and I *think* it plays BIN/CUE files), plus pic files (at least jpeg, possibly RAW, but to be hones tI only ever use jpg)

Has a multi card reader on the front for pics direct from camera mem card, plus navigation buttons on the front and a remote control - not bad for £40!!!!

I don't use it anymore as I ended up putting a PC under my TV as I wanted to be able to stream music from my NAS drive...

maxcxa

Standard Member
Hi, Thanks for the advice. I think I'll end up going with a HDD enclosure. However do you know of any that can play HD files? I was wondering beacuse I thought that it would be able to play any file because it is a HDD but on Maplin it says it can only play certain files, not including HD files such as DivXHD.

Thanks again

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
The HDD can store any file you put on it, it is just a mass storage device. But to get these files to play on a TV screen, the HDD enclosure needs software to do so. Much like a computer needs software to play music and video. Software requires codecs to be able to decode and output the audio/video - hence why a lot of times in Windows you need codec packs as for example, Windows Media Player cannot play .MOV (quicktime) files for example.

These boxes are manufactured to a budget, and as such the more expensive ones will have better software and more uptodate codecs, meaning a better player and more file types supported.

For HD playback, the one to look at, so I have been told, is the PixelMagic HD Media Box, MB200;

http://www.pixelmagicsystems.com/products/media_players/hd_mediabox.htm

Be warned tho, it isn't cheap! But it does look fapping awesome! The connections alone are excellent!

USB (internal HDD to PC), 2x USB (for external storage - for example, flash memory sticks, card readers, another external HDD), LAN (stream media over network, not sure if you can transfer media over a network to the internal HDD this way mind), VGA (VGA 15-pin D-Sub, or use break out cable for component YPrPb), HDMI, Composite video / s-video + audio, digital audio outputs (both digi coax and optical toslink)

Looks great - was something I very much wanted to buy but I couldn't justify the cost since a) I wouldn't be using HD media, nor using a HD output like HDMI or VGA, and my TV doesn't support progressive component....

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Bout £200 over here when I looked last year, probably get it for less now I should imagine.....

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
The OP was looking for a cheap solution...sheesh :D

THis is true yes, but then he went on to say he wanted HD playback aswell. So I gave him a (reletively) cheap solution for HD media playback.....

If he didn't want HD media playback (ie, the h264 codec for hi def media and audio) then a simple sub-£40 HDD Media PLayer from Maplin would do the trick nicely ;)

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Mabey more than you were looking to spend but if you have an old hard drive lying around you could use this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221173&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=enclosure&doy=13m1 Video formats supported: MPEG 1/2, DivX HD, DivX 3.11, 4.12, 5, 6; AVI, VOB, MPG , DAT, Xvid and it will record from it to and has the built in usb port.

That's a nice looking device and I'd be tempted to buy that and test it, as you can return anything to Maplin within 14days as long as in original packaging.... Doesn't have the .h264 codec mind, so the HD media playback might be limited....

foneman

That looks like a very good device!! :) It can record from the composite input, transfer files from PC, play from USB...

BUT! It will NOT record in HDef (composite inputs!!!) but it will upscale to HDef.. (component outputs..)

ALSO check that maplin has the same version as here.... <-- look at bottom of linked page
for the blogspot, how to do more PC things.. :smashin:

maxcxa

Standard Member
Thanks again all of you guys for the great help. All the HDD enclosure you have mentioned only support FAT32 fortmat. Seeing that the majority of HD files are over 4GB this is quite a disadvantage. Also do you know of any player that h.264? Any price now :p because I suppose HD format player tend to be much more expensive. I have tried looking on google and maplin do not have any.

Thanks again everyone!

foneman

Also do you know of any player that h.264?
well I have said how to do it *many* times, but no-one is 'daring enough' to actually do it... (except for maybe ONE!)

h.264 is where the 'combo bluray recorder/HDDVD player' is at the moment - i.e, only available in this type of format!!! ..

BUT! :D you CAN get it with 2 or 3 tuners, *any*size HD, Fullspec HIDEF output, full networking with your PC, runsilent, look good, etc, etc.....

It is up to you, this is available NOW...:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone