1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardboiled R2 vs Criterion R1

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jenz, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a comparison last night I must say that I'm wholly disappointed with this R2 release.

First and foremost there are considerable black level problems. The image has very deep blacks and as a result has next to no shadow detail.

Throwing it up onto a 7ft wide screen showed a very poor amount of detail. Examples would include nearly all of the Factory Gunfight and most of the Hospital fight.

When Tequila comes flying out of the Wall at the start of the Morgue you can barely see him until he starts firing. In the Criterion version he is clearly scene, same goes for the factory scene with Chow coming down through the roof. Very poor.

Yes its anamorphic but this only slightly increases detail and sharpness. The fallen cop for example executed on the floor in the Hospital Staff circle closeup exhibits the same detail levels across both versions. But take a close look at the image and you'll see that it appears still blurry. I would suggest (until someone confirms otherwise) that this is an Anamorphic print created from a Internegative print rather than the original negatives. This would also be explained by the fact that the Subtitles (which are burned in by the way) appear rough and blurred compared to the remastered Criterion. In addition this approach has vastly increased the dirt/speckles/marks on the print...

Audio is good and it is uncut. Looks like we are still on the holy grail of a perfect Hardboiled...

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs HT Pics

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I'm back!!!!!

I agree with Jenz. I was really looking forward to the R2 version of Woo's "Hard-Boiled", but when I discovered it was a 4:3 dubbed version, I immediately ordered the R1 Criterion Edition disc instead! Yet again, another kick in the balls, for R2 fans!

Pooch

3. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch

We are of course talking about the NEW version released on the 19th March which is 1.85 Widescreen Anamorphic...

Pooch, hide your head in shame [​IMG]