1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard to find a used Denon 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DEO, Jun 21, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the lassifeids section I never see an advert for used 3802s.

Are they like gold dust because nobody ever wants to sell one as they are so good? I am sure lot's of people would like to buy one at a decent price (I dont have one to sell - just commenting)

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's probably because they're a relatively new product and so most people will have yet to decide whether they're a keeper or not. Also, it's a fairly big price jump to go from the 3803 to the 'next level' of amplification so it's unlikely people would buy at £650, lose £150 selling it and then have to find another £500 or so to get a better replacement.

It is probably also due to the fact the 3802 is such a good unit. I bought a 2802 about 4 months ago and have NOOOOOO thoughts of selling it for a long while yet...

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Juboy has it bang on.

The 3802 is only about 9 months old I think and is very good.
    I think the only chance of a used one you might have is an ex demo/display.

personally... pay the extra £100 or so and get a new one.

Or wait about 24months for something 'significantly' better to come along at a similar price, at which point you might start seeing used 3802s on the market.

Had mine for 6 months and have NO plans to change it.
    Cant even think of reasons why I might want to at the moment since it does everything I want it to with ease and style.

Regards

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    There was a 3801 a few weeks ago but it sold fairly quickly

5. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Desticado

I am curious, your 3802 probably cost 700 pounds. How much did you spend on speakers and how big is your room.

Is the 3802 plenty loud enough?

Cheers

DEO

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it helps... I have a 2802 (around 15wpc LESS than the 3802), spent £1100 on my speakers plus £400 for a REL Q150 and it more than fills my 25ft x 18ft room (I do have a fairly low ceiling though, thankfully).

The general consensus is that Denon slightly under-rate their wpc figures so it's likely the 2802 and 3802 are capable of 5 to 10% higher wpc figures than those quoted.

Unless your room is huge or your speakers are low sensitivity you should have no problems at all.

7. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juoboy, thanks for the post:

Your system fills your room with sound, and that is impressive as your room is 18' by 25', an excellent size room.

Do you reckon it is much better then to spend say double on the speakers compared to the Amp?

My room is 20' by 20' so the 3802 should be fine? I guess I will spend 1800 pounds on B&W series 3 or the Kef Q speakers.

DEO

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deo: I personally bought the 2802 as I'd read it could really drive speakers and also had the DPLII facility as well as being able to drive a centre rear. I think subsequent reviews and people's personal experience has shown that, at their price points, the 2802 and 3802 are without rival (other than possibly Marantz).

I thought it'd be daft to get a (fairly) powerful amp with well rated SQ only to put it through cheap speakers. I therefore put it through:

Kef Q55.2 fronts
    Kef Q95c front center
    Kef Q15.2 rear surround
    Kef Q95c rear center

I also have a pair of Kef Q85s which I inted to use in place of the Q95c rear until I eventually add a power amp in which case the 95c will go back and I'll use the 85s as surround speakers.

I think the new Q range may well suit the amp even more. I really do suggest you demo them heavily. I bought the Denon for film listening only, I believe the Kef Q series is also aimed at more film soundtrack listening than hi fi stereo use.

The B&Ws may work better if your system is doubling as your music hi fi.

Be interesting to hear what you do finally go for and how you rate it. Happy demoing :)

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    When they first came out they were like gold dust and therefore no discounts available.

Now you can buy them new at £650 so the second value of a year old one is £550 - £575 which is a big drop from the originally paid price of £800.

If the impending 3803 has even more bells and whistles some people may decide to upgrade and therefore sell their current model but chances are you won't find many second hand for another twelve months.

10. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think I would benefit from having a 3802 rather than a 2802.
    my room is large and empty, say 22' by 14', and sometimes I feel I am at the top end of the 2802. but then I do play it loud.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Perhaps speakers with a higher sensitivity may help.

12. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Or a Power amp? Using the 2802 as a processor.

13. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase:
    I agree with your advice BUT if you add a poer amp aren't you effectively only using half the facilities of the 2802? It was not designed as a processor so surely it cannot be as good as a dedicated pre-amp/processor. Conversely the power amplication part of the 2802 will be redundant!

IanJ:
    When you say more sensitive speakers do you mean better speakers?

14. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    DEO

Rather than chop in the 2802 and buy say, a 3802, you´re more than likely to gain performance by adding a power amp. The amps in the 2802 will be redundant unless you use them for bi-amping some bi-wireable speakers but you´d have to match the gain of the power amps with amps in the 2802.

The 2802 has pre-outs for all channels so you can use power amps with it if you have a large room and require the extra power. Better to have an amp which gives you the facility to power amp rather than have to junk it completely when you want to upgrade.

Its a logical upgrade path to follow. Once you have the power amps you could then move to another processor in the future, more formats etc etc

Higher sensitivity speakers would give you higher output at a given level. You wouldnt need to have the volume level so high if the speakers were a higher sensitivity.

15. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback,
    I currently have the front speakers running through a seperate power amp, as I share them for hifi use.

I find it is the centre speaker that lacks clarity when driven hard.
    I have a 6.1 set-up, and to date the only speakers I have not managed to blow are the two side rears.

The make is rega, a british hifi manufacturer, the two fronts were £500, and centre is £250, and they seem good, except for keeping blowing.

I was under the impression, blowing speakers like that was down to overdriving the amp, providing a dirty signal to the speakers?

16. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Bonesy

Sounds like you´re really driving the amps hard!! If you drive the amps so hard that they start clipping that will blow your speakers.

Heres some info on clipping

http://www.audiovideo101.com/dictionary/clipping.asp

Better to drive your speakers with a more powerful amp rather than an underpowered one. Something is up somewhere if you keep blowing the speakers.

What amp are you using??

17. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

My av system is derived from my hifi system.
    so, from rega, I am using the Mira integrated amp, to power the mids, and the maia power amp to drive the tweeters of the rega jura speakers I have as fronts.

Only source is the rega planet cd player.

the denon 2802 drives the rega 'senta's which I use as the front centre and another as the rear centre. I then use rega aras as the rear sides.

Rega has quite a good name in this country, and has had good reviews. but somehow I went through a stage of blowing up the speaker drivers. mostly becuase I had turned them up to much. perhaps I would'nt choose rega again.

actually it must be me, as I have blown the fronts just playing cd's, and both centres just from the denon.
    But that is my main problem, the front centre lacks the clarity and presence I want, so I turn it up.

I now never go about 00 on the 2802.

I have just bought a spl meter, so will set it to 75 db (is it?) and let you know what I think of the sound. cheers.

18. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Looks nice stuff:)

Be interesting to see what its like when you´ve balanced all the levels to 75db. Maybe thats the problem, centre speaker not loud enough.

Might be worth power amping the centre speaker as well, to match the front pair.:)

cheers

19. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    cool, thanks for the help.