Hard Target 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Noahdavid1984

I got this disc for Christmas through wowhd. Kino lorber are doing a disc replacement program and are having it ready by the end of January. As I hadn’t even open the disc because of the problem I was unaware of the Dolby vision which is a massive shame and hopefully it gets corrected.

fatdragon1966

Standard Member
I got this disc for Christmas through wowhd. Kino lorber are doing a disc replacement program and are having it ready by the end of January. As I hadn’t even open the disc because of the problem I was unaware of the Dolby vision which is a massive shame and hopefully it gets corrected.
Wowhd are doing the replacement of discs that have been ordered through them,so when they have the replacement discs they will ship them to all people who ordered from them.Idont have DV so it is not an issue with me.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I've never seen a Hollywood John Woo movie I thought was remotely decent.

Hard Target, Face Off, MI2 (the weakest of them all by a huge margin), Windtalkers, Paycheck, Broken Arrow.
They're either dumb action (and I love an action movie) or just dumb. The action stuff is too over the top, I need a little basis in reality, even if it's barely credible. The characters are often poorly written or the same type of over the top cliches.

Not a fan at all.

Now his HK movies on the other hand.....
I've seen and enjoyed a few of them.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Glaring production issues on these 4K remaster/releases seem to be a recurring theme. It's hard to understand how audio/video engineers keep missing these mistakes that are immediately obvious to common viewers/enthusiasts.

Stepalex

‘Peak Van Damme’ - yes, but surely ‘peak Hollywood Woo’ is Face Off?..

I've never seen a Hollywood John Woo movie I thought was remotely decent.

Hard Target, Face Off, MI2 (the weakest of them all by a huge margin), Windtalkers, Paycheck, Broken Arrow.
They're either dumb action (and I love an action movie) or just dumb. The action stuff is too over the top, I need a little basis in reality, even if it's barely credible. The characters are often poorly written or the same type of over the top cliches.

Not a fan at all.

Now his HK movies on the other hand.....
I've seen and enjoyed a few of them.
Broken Arrow and Windtalkers are solid, Hard Target is great, and Face Off is one of the best - if not the best - action movies of all times.

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member
I'm down with Cas on this one - HT is a brilliant cheese steak of a Hollywood actioner. Cinema's greatest mullet and professional snake punching alone should see this elevated within the action cinema Hall of Fame. Will defo be picking this up when KL issue a fixed disc.

Although JCVDs best? Its a toss up between this and Sudden Death for me. Powers Boothe rocks it and lets be honest, JCVD met his toughest opponent ever in the bowels of that stadium......
JCVD.jpg

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
and Face Off is one of the best - if not the best - action movies of all times.

Just shows how we all like different things.

Face/Off is a prime example of the type of action movie I don't enjoy. It's so totally over the top, unrealistic bobbins I have no time for it at all. The 2 main characters are terribly written and cliched. Add in the weird face touching thing and it's a big:-

"I've watched it once at the cinema, gave it a 2nd chance at home as sometimes I get these things wrong or I'm not in the right mood (Guardians of The Galaxy was a prime example) but no, I was right the first time and IMO it's complete trash"

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Just shows how we all like different things.

Face/Off is a prime example of the type of action movie I don't enjoy. It's so totally over the top, unrealistic bobbins I have no time for it at all. The 2 main characters are terribly written and cliched. Add in the weird face touching thing and it's a big:-

"I've watched it once at the cinema, gave it a 2nd chance at home as sometimes I get these things wrong or I'm not in the right mood (Guardians of The Galaxy was a prime example) but no, I was right the first time and IMO it's complete trash"
GOTG "the new Star Wars". Yeah, sure. ;)

Joe C

Distinguished Member
I'm down with Cas on this one - HT is a brilliant cheese steak of a Hollywood actioner. Cinema's greatest mullet and professional snake punching alone should see this elevated within the action cinema Hall of Fame. Will defo be picking this up when KL issue a fixed disc.

Although JCVDs best? Its a toss up between this and Sudden Death for me. Powers Boothe rocks it and lets be honest, JCVD met his toughest opponent ever in the bowels of that stadium......View attachment 1628596

Has to be Sudden Death - especially as it gave rise to this outtake from Parks and Recreation. Although don’t watch if you’ve never seen the film!

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
I’d like to check this one out again. It’s to be taken with a fistful of salt however

It’s a shame that so many discs are being badly authored recently. Mixing up the left and rear channels? Really???

But as many will agree, this is the wrong Woo film. We need a respectful version of Hard Boiled please.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I'm disappointed Cas.

Disappointed you went as low as a 9.

Disc issues aside of course this is a cracker. Lance Henriksen doing a duel with Alan Rickman for the 90's best pantomime villain.

Could watch this all day. And I'm still going to change my name to Chance Boudreaux before I'm dead.

brian s

Distinguished Member
I like HT but I'm not sure I need to upgrade my blu though. I'd go for Broken Arrow 4K in an instant. I'd love a really decent copy of that.

Bri

Singh79

Experiencing the exact same issue on my Hard Target 4K disc too. It was strobing badly till I updated my UB820 and now it’s more like it’s forcing the TV backlight to brighten or dim whenever there is a camera angle change. More obvious from the first bar fight as before this it’s mostly night scenes with lightning and rain.

Was this review done using a Panny UB820? I’m wondering if the problem is tied to this specific player..I don’t have another DV player to test this disc on so maybe the guys at AVforums could check if they have a spare 5 mins. Thanks.

Joe C

Distinguished Member
Experiencing the exact same issue on my Hard Target 4K disc too. It was strobing badly till I updated my UB820 and now it’s more like it’s forcing the TV backlight to brighten or dim whenever there is a camera angle change. More obvious from the first bar fight as before this it’s mostly night scenes with lightning and rain.

Was this review done using a Panny UB820? I’m wondering if the problem is tied to this specific player..I don’t have another DV player to test this disc on so maybe the guys at AVforums could check if they have a spare 5 mins. Thanks.

Yep

We reviewed Kino Lorber's US 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray release of Hard Target on an LG 55B7 Dolby Vision 4K Ultra HD OLED TV with a Panasonic DP-UB820EB-K Dolby Vision HDR10+ 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player.

iainoco

Sorry to be pedantic but City of Fire was Ringo Lam and not John Woo 😉

oniiz86

@Casimir Harlow In regards to the DV playback issue, the Panasonic players were widely known to be problematic with the DV layer & as you noted the problem is absent with the HDR10 base layer, there was a firmware update released back in September that was meant to rectify most of these DV anomalies with firmware version 1.69 but some owners have discovered that the latest US "Shout Factory" Halloween Collector's Edition releases still pose a problem with the DV layer unfortunately :(

Joe C

Distinguished Member

gzowner617

Standard Member
It was this movie that got me into home cinema in the first place 👍 saw it on laserdisc on a pioneer 50” rear projection in London

roymunsen

Got this a few weeks ago for the Mike Leeder commentary. So gutted with the audio issue, not even had the disc out yet. Wowhd said they'd be sending out replacements, I'll probably sit tight to watch until then.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches ZEN One Signature DAC
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Rotel announces MKII versions of A12, CD14 and RCD-1572 devices
  • By Andy Bassett