Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Hard Locked Or Blocked

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by PLASMABABBY, Nov 1, 2005.

1. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have a brand new Nokia 1100 phone which came locked to Virgin. My friend said that he could unlock it so that I could use an O2 simcard in it or any other network except 3.
    Unfortunately, he entered the code or codes he was using too many times and now I am told that the phone is hard locked.
    Does this mean that it can never be unlocked now by any means or does it mean that it is blocked or barred and to unlock it in some other way would be illegal?
    I've contacted a couple of Mobile Phone shops and they have said that it is now permanently locked to Virgin with no chance of an unlock.
    I would appreciate some help and advice on this please.

2. clonmult

clonmult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting the subsidy code wrong too many times locks the phone.

What does it do now when you switch it on? My guess is that it is asking for a PUK code. You'll need to get a PUK code from your operator to unlock it.

Those mobilephone shops you've spoken to have staff with the brains of a cauliflower.

Just checked on the O2 site. If you get a message "Enter PUK", then try going to :

http://www.o2.co.uk/puk/landing/0,,555,00.html

Enter the mobile number, and maybe that will give you the right PUK code. Not sure if the PUK codes given out by O2 will work for other operators though. Pretty sure that Virgin would unlock it as well, but not sure how much they'd charge.

3. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Wrong, I'm afraid.

If you enter the wrong unlocking code (ie #pw+ 13905489058043+1#) 5 times, you can no longer unlock the phone via code. You can however unlock it via data cable so those phone shops are wrong.

4. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi chrislad,
    You are right in that he did put in unlocking codes not subsidy codes - the phone just says "not Allowed" if you attempt to try a further code. So if I can find the right phone shop who knows what they are talking about I take it that they can unlock it by cable. Thanks for the info. I'll ask specifically for a cable unlock.

5. clonmult

clonmult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My bad; I admit I've only ever experienced lockouts that have required PUK codes (for the Blackberries that I support).

6. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi clonmult,
    Thanks for your input - it's much appreciated.

7. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi chrislad,
    Just to let you know that I got the phone unlocked by cable as you suggested at a cost of £10 - but at least it can now be used on any network except '3'. Thanks.