Hard life for Snipers on COD4?!

ohh_danielson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As usual been playing a lot of COD4 this week, decided to try use my sniper class more, with C4/Mines, stopping power, and Iron Lungs usually my perks.
I like being a sniper as you obviously try to get long distance kills, and usually since snipers try to keep their enemy’s at a distance, you avoid getting a high death count.

Last night I had a couple of games on Overgrown, a good sniper map I feel, first game I got 17 kills 5 deaths I think it was, not bad I thought and picked out some good shots :)

Couple games later got back on Overgrown – this time was a lot different though, I finished on 7 kills 12 deaths I think, and it just got me thinking being a sniper on COD4 is more often than not a very hard job, part of being a sniper is obviously finding a nice spot which is pretty safe and picking off shots, but on COD4 if you do that then the enemy can simply watch Kill Cam, for example last night I got in a nice spot on Overgrown, thought to my self I will get a couple of kills then move on, got 1 kill then about 40 seconds later a cooked grenade blew me to bits, it was the guy I killed earlier, he must of simply watched kill cam then launched a grenade at where I was.

Fair enough it was a good shot I was in small space and well camouflaged, but he got me simply because once I killed him he knew where I was.
Also later in that game I got into another nice spot got couple of kills then was considering moving on around the map until a guy sprayed through the wall (must have been using deep impact) and killed, once again probably because I killed him earlier and he checked Kill Cam.

Just seems being a sniper on this game is really hard work, as kill cam gives away your spot, meaning finding a sniping spot is quite useless as once you kill an enemy he will know were you are, then since deep impact is available also then can spray through walls to kill you aswell.
I aint type of guy who get a good spot and just sit there for the full game – where’s the fun in that?! I’d prefer to get a few kills then move on, but even doing that is usually very very hard. Few times I played games where I will pick off one guy then try ot move, so get a kill then move, but since a lot of the maps are quite small and have a lot of twist and turns this is very hard also.

I love COD4 and I often use M16 and do well with it but I do like the sniper at times as its just cool :) but does anyone else feel this way at times about being a sniper?!:rolleyes:

Dan

Yeah i know what you mean cant see the point in the sniper rifles im only using to get the xp!!

I really think there should be a no kill cam perk for sniping!

Thats a good idea actually mate, very good.

Doubt it will ever happen though, i mean its good being able to see your enemy, i dont mind it at all when im running around with my assault rifle etc, but just thinking that along with couple of other things makes sniping real hard?!!!

i am not sure if you are aware but there are modes which kill cam is disabled and all you can do is spectate your team mate whilst you wait to respawn, i think it may be hardcore team deathmatch and other, sorry i dont have more details but if you like to sniper i would try giving them a go and hopefully you can have more luck with it because i do feel for ya, although i dont sniper i still hate kill cam

This is why I never bother with the sniper rifle.

I think the "kill cam" should be disabled for all games, permanently.
If you get shot, you can usually work out roughly where it came from by the position of the red mark.

It would make the game a lot more interesting and tactical if people who have been killed aren't immediately able to see where the shot came from.

In an ideal world I think the best solution is to start off with the snipers rifle, make a quick kill then rob the dead body for what should usually be an AK47, M16 or MP5 to replace the crappy pistol you start with. Then once you`ve made a kill with the snipers rifle swap to MP5/AK47/M16 then make a dash for another isolated spot where you can swap back to the snipers rifle. I`ve done this occasionally and sometimes it works.....sometimes I get turned into dog meat on a regular basis :)

In an ideal world I think the best solution is to start off with the snipers rifle, make a quick kill then rob the dead body for what should usually be an AK47, M16 or MP5 to replace the crappy pistol you start with.
Surely the dead body is going to be a fair distance away and you stand a good chance of getting killed before you reach it?

I think for the "kill cam" reason and the fact that the maps aren't really suited to snipers just makes it an awkward weapon for this game.

I think I used it twice first time around and I haven't bothered at all this time.

Use Overkill, pack a submachine for close combat.

Shoot, Kill, Move. Rinse and Repeat.

Use the mp5/m16 etc for close combat while moving from postion to postion.

Have 4 or 5 different postions in each map to move between them.

Move quickly after every kill, people like me hate snipers and i will without fail come back for you with a knife in the back or a cooked grenade. You can count on it ;)

In essence Get Comfy & Get Killed :D

Use Overkill, pack a submachine for close combat.

Shoot, Kill, Move. Rinse and Repeat.

Use the mp5/m16 etc for close combat while moving from postion to postion.

Have 4 or 5 different postions in each map to move between them.

Move quickly after every kill, people like me hate snipers and i will without fail come back for you with a knife in the back or a cooked grenade. You can count on it ;)

In essence Get Comfy & Get Killed :D

LOL! I`m happy to take my chances. Its all part of the fun. You kill me, I curse under my breath then eventually get a spawny bit of revenge and for 5 seconds I`m chuckling then you catch me again and turn me into a human sieve again :)

Bring it on :)

Thats what im planning on doing but i have started all over again now so dont have overkill again yet, last time i had it i often got confused which gun to use, as i would be running from one spot to the other, then see a guy in distance and tihnk ahaaaa i will sniper him, then i will see another guy in building near me so im like err err errrr so il try get my other gun out... before i know it im dead.

But my plan is pack my P90 with my sniper and go from point to point, similar to how GUNS said.

Suppose even though i have had my moan on this at the end of the day it will show who the real good snipers are on COD4 :)

Thats what im planning on doing but i have started all over again now so dont have overkill again yet, last time i had it i often got confused which gun to use, as i would be running from one spot to the other, then see a guy in distance and tihnk ahaaaa i will sniper him, then i will see another guy in building near me so im like err err errrr so il try get my other gun out... before i know it im dead.

But my plan is pack my P90 with my sniper and go from point to point, similar to how GUNS said.

Suppose even though i have had my moan on this at the end of the day it will show who the real good snipers are on COD4 :)

I find that with the ACOG scope on the M16A you can snipe when need be but take out people in relatively close combat too so it does the job for long and short distances. PLus it has a faster fire rate than the snipers rifles too. M16A is definitely my weapon of choice.

Before I say this please take note I have never actually played COD4 but played enough Halo that has a similar system to compare.

Problem is if you don't have kill cam then no one moves, everyone stays in a sneaky spot and waits for someone else to come out in the open, allowing the enemy to know your position WHEN YOU KILLED THEM, does not allow your enemy to know your position.

It's the balance between having everyone camping, and everyone moving.

I find sniping a bit boring after a while, I know some people love it and are really good at it, but it's not for me. You'll see me, I'll be the guy who gets probably more kills than any one usually out of 12 or in the top 2 or 3 anyway, but to counter act that I will probably die more than anyone.

I'll end up with something like 43 kills 46 deaths or 32 kills 27 deaths, scores like that but I don't mind dieing lots as long as I kill lots after all you get points for kills and you don't lose points for deaths. :smashin:

The removal of Kill Cam can be overcome using a bit of Teamwork, map knowledge and COMMUNICATION (not a dirty word).

This can even happen by accident sometimes.. I have been playing on a Public TDM and someone yells down the mic "That comaping M***therF***er is still sniping from the broken wall at Grandma's House" then I know to stand in the stair well and NADE SPAM the attic.

Always listen to you team mates.. they may well be giving you good info.

Spamout

Without Killcam a lot of maps would degenerate to a yawnfest of camping snipers.

Two ways to snipe effectively is to either Overkill or play with a buddy. Having the eavesdrop perk between two doesn't hurt either. Movement is key, as G_LOG says, shoot and scoot.

Before I say this please take note I have never actually played COD4 but played enough Halo that has a similar system to compare.

Problem is if you don't have kill cam then no one moves, everyone stays in a sneaky spot and waits for someone else to come out in the open, allowing the enemy to know your position WHEN YOU KILLED THEM, does not allow your enemy to know your position.

It's the balance between having everyone camping, and everyone moving.

What im saying is usually when you are killed from a sniper, you dont know where he is, because they hide well and use the surroundings etc. But since the Kill cam is there is doesn't matter how well your hid, because once the guy you just killed watched the replay, he knows where you are and will get you.

Its good because it avoids people hiding all game, but sort of takes the meaning of being a sniper out of the game...

A tip to make it slightly harder to be detected........... Once you have made the kill, keep your weapon zoomed in for a few seconds. Then the kill cam will only show your zoomed in view so wont be as easy to make out your position, only your approximate location.

Steve

I know where the OP's coming from, but let's be honest, every style has pro's and cons, there is no "easy" style that you can employ that'll make you better at the game.

It's part of the game I'm afraid. If you wanna play sniper then you'll have to shoot and move.

I like it like that; it becomes a challenge - having to move somewhere else as quickly as possible before the player comes back looking for you.

I know where the OP's coming from, but let's be honest, every style has pro's and cons, there is no "easy" style that you can employ that'll make you better at the game.

It's part of the game I'm afraid. If you wanna play sniper then you'll have to shoot and move.

I like it like that; it becomes a challenge - having to move somewhere else as quickly as possible before the player comes back looking for you.

Thats what i meant about how you can tell who the real top quality snipers are.

But main point was saying since a sniper likes to remain undetected, being part of the job description of a sniper if you like, its pretty much impossible since of the Kill Cam :rolleyes:

Just thinking back to BF2 days i could pick off few shots across the whole map, but if i try that on COD4 a minute later a guy will shot a nicely cooked grenade in my face :rotfl:

Done well with my M16 last night though :) Going to be a sniper tonight i think, feel like being a sneaky git :devil:

i wish the sniper rifles had silencers on them too as that would be awesome

even though i really despise good snipers that somehow get you with a headshot when your running fast lol

yus786

i wish the sniper rifles had silencers on them too as that would be awesome

even though i really despise good snipers that somehow get you with a headshot when your running fast lol

yus786

Don`t you just love the "dink" sound of a good headshot? Nothing beats that sound. :)

Don`t you just love the "dink" sound of a good headshot? Nothing beats that sound. :)

I love it when you see a guy sniping (so his in scope) and you just get behind him and knife him, at times i get cocky and will stand behind him for a while, squatting up and down, then il knife him so when he watch's the kill cam he will see me taunting him :cool:

Im really tempted to sneak up on a sniper(hoping hes using his scope at the time) crouch infront of him then jump infront of his scope so all he would see is your head like a cm away from his scope, then kinfe him.
He would surely s**t him self and i think it would be rather funny, can just imagine it ::rotfl:

Although if he wasnt scoped he would just be looking at you thinking :confused:then kill you, im still tempted though

PS i love it when im a sniper and see a guy sprinting then you pick off a headshot, the body hits the floor like a sack of spuds :D

must admit that I like taking people out long range with M16 and silencer (no scope) there's a bit more challenge to it and you're never sure you're on target until you see that +10 pop up.
The amount of time though that I've spent aiming at and then shooting at chairs or sandbags in Bloc thinking it was a stationary sniper. doh:(

must admit that I like taking people out long range with M16 and silencer (no scope) there's a bit more challenge to it and you're never sure you're on target until you see that +10 pop up.
The amount of time though that I've spent aiming at and then shooting at chairs or sandbags in Bloc thinking it was a stationary sniper. doh:(

BOOOOOOOM... Chair-legshot Baby!!!! YEAH ! !

I h8 Bloc... must be bacause I suck at camping / Sniping.

Spamout.:spam:

Remove the kill cam and the game will lose popularity fast as it will simply become a camp fest - not just snipers camping either.

The point we need to remember is that in areas this small (cod map size) snipers positions would be detected very quickly - when you re-spawn you are effectively another soldier - not the same one, so it is quite acceptable that reinforcements, with comms, would have identified sniper positions in such small areas.

Sniping has been way too easy in many games. It is still quite easy in this game - those rifles are heavy, cumbersome and hard to get a good shot off, yet in games they have been made so easy.

If the snipers job gets easier - I doubt I will play online again. It simply isnt fun to play a map where people are hiden away sniping. Especially when they dont even have to identify enemies because there is a big friendly name above team mates. :rolleyes:

I think one of the main reasons that COD4 is a huge online success is the fact that snipers have been forced to take a reality check.

And, lets face facts - it still is easy to get off 5/6 kills before you need to move on to a new location. I rarely snipe as I find it dull, but when I do it can reap rewards. Some snipers are fantastic at it....

However - it is good to have all hardcore settings as a playable option, give people the choice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom