1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by explicitlyrics, Dec 23, 2004.

1. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I bought 4 Maxtor Diamond Max 9 120GB Hard Drives back in May, the warranty on all seems to expire on 30th December 2004 for some reason (maybe when Ebuyer bought them from Maxtor). Anyway, within the last month I have had three of them fail (one in mine and two in two mates pc's), another in my pc seems to be a bit noisy but no error found by powermax.

So 3 out of 4 hard drives have failed within 1 month of warranty expiring. My neighbour ordered 3 at the same time and 2 of his have failed. 5 out of 7 drives have failed in different PC's, all cooled with fans. Thats not impressive in my books!

Maxtor's policy is that the user pays for delivery of the drive (that has cost me £25ish and my neighbour £15ish). I dont believe this is fair and will seek a refund through their slow technical support.....

Anybody agree? Have any good/bad stories about Maxtor drives? I think 1 drive isnt enough to judge a make of drive but 7 is... anybody have 2/3/4 drives that can comment?

Cheers, Chris

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh that takes the **** a little you should defo try and get summit sorted but through ebuyer you could be trying for a very very long time

I cant speak on the Diamond Max 9 drives but the 300Gb Diamond Max 10 i have is superb, very quick very quiet and so far no probs.

3. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Thats why I dont touch Maxtor anymore. Ive had 2 fail on me so far. Maxtor support was good - all done online and replaced.

I now use Samsung as the waranty is three years and theyre quieter drives.

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I used to work in a computer shop once (NOT PC World) and I used to buy the HDD's. I used to buy Seagate and Western Digital pretty much exclusively, but a sales rep offered me Maxtors at a good price. 10 minutes later after protesting and saying they were garbage, I was offered them on trial. Having nothing to lose, I ordered 10.

When they arrived, we installed one.......after another. 9 out of the 10 drives were DOA. Now I am in a position where HDD reliability is even greater, I won't use Maxtors at all.

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for that :)

Maxtor responded first thing this morning after my email late last night which was good, they have offered to collect the fourth drive of mine for free which I might take up, I am still after my £25 of postage though...

Seagate from now on!

6. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A number of years ago (P100 days) we used to build our own PCs at work.

Maxtor's had a 1 in 2 failure rate. At that point I've always bought other makes. I did however find their aftersales very good at the time. Has it changed?

7. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought my maxtor DiamondPlus 160GB drive 13 months ago.

After running the utills its now silent, Ive never had one problem with it.

Im personally very pleased with it.

8. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I guess everyone has different experiences. After numerous failures over the last 5 years of Seagate, Western Digital, Fujitsu (just this week) and IBM (another Deathstar died on me last week) I only buy Maxtor's as they are the only drives I've found to be reliable!

Out of interested were the 120gig Maxtor's PATA or SATA? I have about 4 SATA 120/160gig series 9 drives bought early this year... Just bought 3 160gig DiamondMax 10's...

Rob.

9. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is a PATA (SATA wasnt availible as the time i bought it).

10. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Mine are PATA (or were....) The DM10 drives are reportedly better but Im sticking clear after seeing how silent and quick the Seagate a friend has is.

11. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ive had Fujitsus die on me more than any other brand. Currently running 2 x 300gig Maxtors SATA so I didnt like to see this thread!! Hope they dont die on me.....will have to back up more than usual methinks!

12. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Those 120Gig maxtors have had loads of problems. Check Dabs.com and read the reviews on them, the 80gigs are fine, been using them nicely in xbox's.

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've got 250Gb and 300Gb external Firewire Maxtor drives...both seem ok so far,incl being stuck in the laptop bag and thrown in the car.

Fingers crossed though after reading what you all have to say!

14. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just to add, even though these drives have failed and had bad sectors/corrupt tables and whatever, I was able to recover everything (as far as I can tell) using "Easy Recovery Proffesional" and its formatted volume recovery mode (didnt recover my time or money yet actually...). Truly excellent for if you get panicky. :)