Hard Drives V DVD recorders

T

Tejpal

I just would like to know which one do you think will hold the key to the future?

Im interested in both, but i dont know what to get...

Personally, I believe that a combination of the 2 formats ! I think that recording "live" to a hard disk poses less problems than to a dvd at the moment and there is not the limiting factor of 1 or 2 hours recording that dvd has. Once you decide you want to keep a recording yo can then put it onto dvd for archiving.
I'm wondering if DVD recorders will ever switch to the mpeg4 format - that way they should be able to fit more onto each disc. Another way that DVD recording would bebefit is by using the blue laser system that allows lots more info to be stored on each disc. I read somewhere recently that Sony has demo'd a blue laser DVD recorder which I think will hold about 27GB per disc.
At the moment I have neither hard disk or DVD recorders (I'm tempted believe me!!), I'm forcing myself to wait that extra 6 months or so to see what's available then.

I agree. Harddisk will replace day to day recording for soaps:D , and DVDR will simply be a way of archiving.

As to which format, reading the latest news shows that there will be no agreement in th e near future. Sony made a PC DVD recorder for both DVD Forum and DVD alliance standards and was slated by both parties!! Because of the lack of agreement Im holding off as I can see it being a war of DVD RAM/ against DVD+RW. I reckon if DVD+RW manufacturers (currently Yamaha and Phillips) get a combi player out with HDD they will win as it will have all the benefits of DVD RAM with the HDD

As for Blu ray, this product hasnt even got off the ground and Toshiba are already forming a breaking away format (but at least it is with backward compatability with Red laser products (current DVD technology)).

I think the problem is that whoever designes the successful format makes money in licencing fees for the technology. All very depressing for the consumer

Surely Blue ray technolgy wont be around for YEARS. Even if they comeout, wont this completely wipe DVD out of the picture, as it would be a hell of alot better! anad people who spend thousands on DVDs over the years would be pretty PO'ed about it.

Eventually sky+ will get rid of the subsription for it.. which would make alot of people get it..like myself.

Plus, alot of the mags say that DVD will be out dated soon, as technology is advancing. Would dvd really stay around as long as the Video recorder?? i dont think it will....

Originally posted by Tejpal
Surely Blue ray technolgy wont be around for YEARS. Even if they comeout, wont this completely wipe DVD out of the picture, as it would be a hell of alot better! anad people who spend thousands on DVDs over the years would be pretty PO'ed about it.
Eventually sky+ will get rid of the subsription for it.. which would make alot of people get it..like myself.
Plus, alot of the mags say that DVD will be out dated soon, as technology is advancing. Would dvd really stay around as long as the Video recorder?? i dont think it will....

I think Blue Ray or similar high capacity media will appear on the US market far sooner than anyone expects. With HDTV making waves in the US there is a need for a device to record the format.
I honestly can't see a tape based digital VCR making any impact so that leaves Hard Drive based or DVD type media to steal the show.
The next gen DVD media gets my vote simply because it gives the film and TV industry an outlet for high definition releases of their product and as long as it's backwards compatible with the current DVD format then it should prevail.
Of course once politics/corporate infighting gets involved anything can happen:)

The SKY+ subscription may one day be removed but it wouldn't make financial sense unless it was a marketing move againest the cable companies who finally get their act together and offer their own fully integrated PVR's. There is no money to be made by SKY from offering SKY+ without a subscription in one form or another but lets hope with reduced manufacturing costs it might at least be an workable option.

MPEGII encryption (Used by DVD's) is probably outdated in terms of the current codecs that are used in home computers and the internet, however it is a rock solid standard and it's life can be prolonged for a decade with higher capacity media.

Another thing which may come to spoil the party is much larger/ much cheaper hard drives.

I was reading on another forum that in the US you can now buy 120GB hard drives for less than $100. Also Maxtor are about to launch 340GB Drive.

So maybe we will see machines with huge capacities with maybe an "archive drive"

Personally the only media I wish to keep for "ever and ever" is my home videos of the kids and grandson, anything else would be very convenient if it could be kept on an "archive drive"

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom