Hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by lisa burrell, Jan 5, 2007.

1. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am thinking ... about buying a new hard drive i have a 80gb. On a 256mgb memory (still.....) Guy at work keeps telling me i can get much much bigger one for about 40 something quid at the moment. mines very noisy its 4th birthdays soon LOL...

I was sort of wondering . um... My mesh case falls apart at the push of a button so you can easy get inside. Can......(your like this.. ) someone who really should be banned from owning a screw driver.. yet use one... Fit it? I fitted my DVD writer sort of OK is it as easy. Is there anything i should no first. Like when its in its going to be brand new. I mean i am Blondie so i got to get the box open first:) Then the hard disc its self there's going to be Nothing on it. Whats it going to ask me? what am i expected to tell it. Please make it simple. then i have the task of getting my Mesh copyright version of xp in. will it except it. Or is there little hidden gems in the bowels of my computer that will say. O'y you cant do this. :(

seriously now cough .. is it straightforward or dose anyone want to write me an idiots guide. Can i buy any internal hard drive. my present one is a maxtor6y080LO IDE\DISKMAXTOR_6Y080L0__________________________YAR41VW0\3359364830354533202020202020202020202020 80gb.

Lisa

2. zeus123

zeus123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get drives pretty cheap nowadays, we bought a 200gb drive from staples last week for £40.

If you want to keep your old harddrive in there then its a very easy task. Simply a matter of plugging it in.... exactly the same as a cd rom drive. Im sure you can do it! Its just two plugs and maybe a jumper.

If you just want to have the new drive in your system then you will have to reinstall windows. Its pretty easy. Normally you boot from the hdd but as your new hdd is empty you tell the system to boot from the cd rom drive. When it has booted you tell it to install windows.

Depending on whether you want to have both drives in your system at the same time there will be a few options you will need to change.

I personally would install windows on the new drive and use it as normal but to keep the second drive in the system and use it to backup My Document etc every now and then.

3. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    if you can install a dvd drive, then installing a new HD isn't much different. i presume you mean old style IDE PATA drives, your motherboard can probably handly 4 IDE devices, so you can add a new HD for storage and keep the old one there. you would need something like norton ghost if you wanted to copy your windows install to the new drive

if you do a bit of googling you should find plenty of online guides to installing

if you have 2 IDE cables in your pc and each cable can accept 2 IDE devices, i would connect your old HD to one cable as master, and the dvd drive to the other drive as slave (in the middle of the cable) and the new HD as master (on the end of the cable). new/spare cables are about £2 ish if you have cables with only one end, or only 1 cable

when you put in the new HD, if you are keeping windows on the old HD, go to my computer or windows explorer, and click on the drive and format it and it should work, or do that from windows disc management

btw, you can get a 400gig drive delivered for £70, which should be more than enough space, but you can get cheaper smaller drives too

checkout savastore, misco, microdirect, dabs for prices

4. Stuzo

Stuzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    A few snipits of info to assist you:

1) There are currently two main types of hard drives for desktop PCs, SATA (Serial-ATA) and IDE (also know as Parallel ATA). If you open your case and look at the hard drive it will either have a ribbon cable about 5cm wide going into it (this is Parallel ATA), or a much smaller cable, about 1.5cm wide (SATA). If your PC is 4 years old then it is almost certianly Parallel ATA (the wide ribbon cable)

2) You say your current drive is noisy. Do you know that it is the hard drive making the noise and not a fan? (try opening the case and carefully stopping each fan for a few seconds with a pencil - or finger if you're partial to a little blood)

3) Assuming that it is your hard drive making the noise you will presumable be planning to replace your old hard drive with your new one. If this is the case you have 2 options:

a) Install windows on the new drive and reinstall all your software. You will also want to copy accross all your data (i.e. all the stuff in your my documents folder, or anywhere else you may have stored stuff)

b) Copy all the data from your old drive onto your new one, this way you don't have to reinstall anything and will just be able to carry on as before but with a quieter and bigger hard drive.

Option A is a good idea if your computer if currently full of a lot of junk and is running slowly as a result - It will give you a fresh start

Option B is good if you are happy with how your computer is running at the moment and want the least inconvinience.

Once you've decided what the best option is for you feel free to post back and asked for a more detailed guide.

5. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys

Only going to install one hard drive. The staples one sounds good idea thanks for that will check that out.

My motherboard details are enclosed in pictures below of motherboard book of words Its the ASUS A7V8X . Lets you see my connections so you can see which hard drive i need.

Thank you for your kind assitance with this its going to be fun to say the least... cough..

Lisa

Attached Files:

6. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Installing it is easy, set the jumper to the same one as your old hard drive and just swap themover the harder part is installing windows, you need a windows disk, don't think them restore disks work with new hardware, once you have a proper windows install disk you can format the hard drive "Full Format NTFS" and Install windows, get hadware drivers off Internet, reinstall software and that's it. But the key to this is a proper windows disk, you might have to buy one, or ask mesh if they can supply you with one..

7. zeus123

zeus123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your motherboard supports SATA150. The harddrive I referred to isn't a SATA drive but im sure you will find one for the same sort of price.

SATA is marginally better than PATA... its slighty faster but its also easier to install because there are no primary/slave/cs jumpers you have to mess with and as the cables are smaller air flow inside your case is better. Being priced similar to pata you are probably best off getting a sata drive.

unique mentioned copying your 80gb harddrive onto your new drive.
    If you dont have a windows cd/dvd and dont want to buy one this is a good way round upgrading your harddrive. tbh given the configuration once windows is installed it might even be the easy option!

I would personally reinstall windows if you can... windows tends to get clogged up a bit and can slow the system over time. Its a god oppurtunity to get a fresh install on your drive.

8. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    If you do want to just copy your old hard drive (and OS) across to your new disk without re-installing etc.. you'll find that most hard drive manafacturers have downloadable utilitys on their websites that you can use FOC to copy the drive contents to the new one.

9. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    once more Thanks guys for the input Ive decided I am going to go for this.

Yes everyone i have a mesh disc with windows on it. This is going to be the 3 time i have phoned Microsoft for a oem number as Ive formatted my drive many times. I just pray that their no going to get fed up with me doing this.

So what am i going to see when i plug this drive in and turn the computer on. This is my greatest worry. Is than i am not going to be asked difficult doss related questions i hope. i am very competent at formatting the hard drive thats not a wory. But its this intial switch on.

So if its unplug replug and switch on is it a quarter of an hour job the hard bit.

You may all find this very silly too. But I want to change my hard drive because the way MP3 players and I Pods are going they seem to be racing one another each year to see who can produce the largest hard drive. Now we have 80gb creatives and Ipods and there as big as my hard drive. I do not want to be overtaken by a i pod in my computer spec dose that sound really stupid.

10. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Don't worry after the 5th time of phoning for an activation key, my copy automatically activates online everytime, guess they got fed of me phoning, must of activated my single copy of windows 15 times at least, of course I only use it on one computer, as long as you tell them this, i.e you put a new hard drive in so reinstalling it on the same computer you will be fine..

Technically if you take out your old drive and replace it with this, you will get an message a few seconds after the POST screen "Invalid Disk/No operating system found" this means that you have no operating system installed, which you don't so simply insert your windows disc and restart, when you see the message "Press any key to run disc" well then hit a key so it will run, and follow the steps, i.e Format Hard Drive, "Full Format/NTFS", then let it do it's job, once it is formatted it will restart and the same message will appear "Press any key to run disc" , do no press any key as windows setup will load on it's own, and follow the onscreen instructions..

Also to keep things simple if you have an IDE hard drive replace it with an IDE hard drive, if you have a SATA hard drive replace it with a SATA hard drive, this way you don't have to mess with the BIOS settings

Well my windows hard drive is 70GB, and I have 55GB Free and have all my programs and music collection on there, I could easily live with a 30GB Hard Drive...

Of Course I have a seperate 400GB Hard Drive for backing up/storing video, but I mean most people really don't need more than a 100GB Hard Drive..and an 80GB Ipod, anyone who buys that most likely gets pirate music anyway, I mean anyone who has a music collection more than 5GB Big, mine is about 1.3GB, which contains alot of songs bought from napster/zune market place and a few ripped cd's..., Just got a Zune it's 30 GB and even with loads of music videos on and a few tv shows and a full film still have 25GB Free.., Apple should be taxed more for selling them 80GB Ipods as all it does is encourage Piracy...

Anyway get a 160GB Hard Drive and you will be fine, there £40...

11. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +965
    While you're at it, you should seriously consider increasing you memory if you're only running 256mb. This is the minimum that XP needs to operate - adding more will improve the responsiveness of your system overall, especially when running programs.

To answer your last question, you need to set the machine up so that it starts with the BIOS screen first (ususally press the DEL key or F2 before Windows loads). You then need to change the setting named "first boot device" from HDD to CDROM. The new windows installation will then be able to run from the CD and load the necessary files onto the new Hard drive. When the first stage is over, the machine will attempt to boot - you need to enter the BIOS screen again before it does and change the first boot device back to hard drive - windows will then continue to load and ask for your install key etc.

One earlier post stated that you motherboard supports SATA hard drives - i'm not sure about this but before you get a new one, check the type of cable fitted on your existing one - if its a large flat ribbon, you will need an EIDE (also known as IDE, ATA or PATA) drive. You will also need to make sure the jumper pin on the back of the drive is set to MASTER mode. If you're retaining you old hard drive, and it's connected to the same cable, you will need to change it's jumper to SLAVE mode - it will currently be set to master (two master drives on the same cable will not work) The jumper pins will be configured differently for different manufacturers drives - there should be a guide to which pins the jumper needs to be fitted on the drive label.

12. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +965
    By the way - everyone keeps advising to do a full format - there is no need for this on a new drive - a quick format will do and will only take a few seconds. A full format could take an hour or more depending on the drive size and speed of your PC.

13. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Better to be safe than sorry, and good thing about the boot order

Drive 1: FLoppy
    Drive 2: Cd Rom
    Drive 3: New Hard Drive

Only need to set it up once in BIOS no need to change it..

14. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,752
    True, but i'd run a full set of diagnostics first :eek: Then use a quick format, otherwise you're asking for trouble.

15. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    when you get a new drive you are best to run a full format as that will go over the drive and check there are no bad sectors that could cause problems in the future. taking an hour to run a check can save you from losing unrecoveable data in the future. you can set it running and go watch a dvd and the job is done

i normally do a full format with a new HD, but i didn't bother the last time as i've neve had any problems before and i was in a rush to get data from 2 other drives onto the new big one. a day or 2 after moving the data over and reformatting the old drives and putting them in another pc, i found problems with the new HD. as it was a large drive which was faulty, it took ages to copy back all the recoverable data, but i lost a small amount of data. i then tried to full format to mark the bad sectors and found whilst the drive would quick format, it wouldn't full format

so had i the patience to wait an hour for a full format i would have saved hours of hassle later on, and i wouldn't have lost any data. if you are thinking of putting your windows install on the disc and wiping your old one, you should definately full format, likewise if you are putting any important data on

personally, i would leave your windows install on your old drive and put the new drive on to hold your data. move any moveable data from your old drive to the new one, delete any temp files, remove any programs you don't need, reboot and defrag the hardrive and that should help speed things up a bit

the pc could be running slow if you only have 256mb ram, i would suggest doubling it at least, or spend £30/40 on another 512mb as that should make a difference. i would also use windows defender to stop any startup programs you don't need, as they just use up memory unecessarily and slow down old pc's in particular. if you are brave, then i would also disable the system restore feature as that makes a difference on old pc's

rather than reinstalling windows from scratch, and then all your programs, i would suggest cleaning up the pc and defragging as i mentioned above, and then use ghost or similar to clone your old drive to the new one. you might want to partition the new drive so you have a windows partition of 80/100gig and the other partition for data, as it makes defragging easier and keeps windows less fragged in the first place. you can download free programs like ghost that can do this, but i don't know any myself

i would suggest you google up some HD swap guides as there are plenty online, like at cnet, they also give you pictures which help make it easier to follow. or you could ask the guy in work to do it for you, them computer geek guys can't ask girls out normally, so they suggest they upgrade thier computer or help them with thier laptops, as they think women will swoon at thier sexy computer knowledge

16. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Definately need another 512MB of RAM, need at least 512MB as windows uses about that much just on startup/idle in windows, best to go for 1GB, 512MB is the bare minimum...

17. zeus123

zeus123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. The only difference between a quick format and a full format is that the full format does a surface scan at the end. Its just a MS thing!

18. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    a full format goes thru the disc testing it as it's formatting and marks bad sectors as it goes along. a quick format just creates/wipes the file allocation table without checking the drive. if you don't check the drive you can discover problems at a later date. you can write data at times and not be able to read it back. if you care about your data you should run a full format, but if you aren't concerned about losing anything and you can't wait an hour, just run a quick format

19. Stuzo

Stuzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    They don't?

Ok, I'm handing in my notice on Monday and will peruse a career as a fireman

20. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again thanks you wonderful lot, love you all.

But as wonderful as you are my brain a um not so quick as most of yours. cough ... Is having a job to absorb all this ..But as the train driver said. there's light at the end of the tunnel.. what i am now going to attempt. Is and i am surprised none of you have thought of this. Now this would have been the advice that would set the cat amongst the pigeons So to speak That is to print this whole lot out. you can imagine i will be hear with a hard drive in my paws thinking ..Now what did they say do? It all happening sort of between four and six so fingers crossed.

Again thanks response first rate very satisfied customer hear AV Forums not such a bad place is it?

(what confused me a bit.. i understand the Bios is a little metal box somewhere in the computer that's quite separate than anything else a bit like the security office really am i correct. if this is so can do all the bios settings before the hard drive is changed press save or what ever so when the new one goes in. Hey presto. Or is life not quite that simple.. :) )

21. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +965
    The BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is a small programme that is stored in a flash ROM chip on the motherboard. It runs automatically when you turn on the computer and checks and sets up all the harware devices and systems ready to hand over control to the OS.

You will need to access the BIOS twice during install, first to tell the machine to boot from the CDRom (to load the new OS) and second to tell it to boot from the hard drive once the OS has been copied to the hard drive in stage 1 - if you dont change it back after stage 1 it will attempt to boot from the CDRom again. You can leave it at stage 1 (boot from CDRom) as it will then move to the next device looking for a boot programme (if no CDROm is present in the drive). The downside is that if you ever boot the machine with a CD in the drive, it will attempt to boot from it, so best to change it back to boot from hard drive first.

22. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Technically it is the CMOS you are accessing not the BIOS, both CMOS and the BIOS are stored as seperate non volatile memory, the CMOS provides device information, and allows you to enable certain features of them, you never actually touch the bios or make changes to it, unless your upgrading it..
    well that's my view..

23. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    We're going O/T here but Meansizzler is quite correct.

99% of the time when people talk about changing a BIOS setting on there PC they actually mean the CMOS.

24. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SORTED

well hear i am .. no problems what so ever only undoing one of the screws on the case that holds my hard drive. It was simple stuff the hard drive was basically plug in and play i got a Hitachi 8mb cache 250gb ide hard drive £54
    +majoron3rd 512mb memory £39 how did i do? Bought the from a little computer shop. Staples had nothing , two other computer stores did not have memory or hard drive in store i thought what you like? what do you sell.

Fitting wise no problem none of the query's i was afraid of did not arise no questions what so ever from the mesh. I feel it was rewarding as now i know what to do i can tell someone else.

One problem i have a 80gb maxtor do i have it as a second drive cant have it like a floppy for storage can i and dose it have to have windows in it. I guess it wont work without an operating system. if i want to use it which i do not at the moment. do i just alter the jumper to slave.

Lisa :)

25. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    What the heck are you running at startup? My XP idling doesn't go over 95mb!

26. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +965
    Glad to hear your install went OK - Well done!

If you want to use your old drive you can hook it up to the same IDE cable as your new drive - remember to change the jumper to SLAVE setting first though. I would suggest you copy off all your data files that you want to keep onto your new drive - you can then reformat the old drive - no need to keep windows on it.

One thing I would be wary of though - if the old drive is noisy and/or throwing up random errors it would be unwise to put any critical data on it as it could fail anytime. You have already stated that the drive is over 4 years old so it could be on it's way out.

27. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some After Thoughts and questions about putting new hard drive in. For anyone considering the same.

1. when i inserted my windows disc in this time. It excepted the licence without making me phone Microsoft. very odd !

2, Decided in the end to have a play and insert original drive back without even moving jumper it excepted it. how come?

it took it straight away after switch on. On the task bar new drive found. i opened it saw there was nothing worth keeping. So i formatted it. holding my breath my 80gb formatted like a floppy in my computer.

At the end it was child's play, really. As i said above the hardest part was undoing one of the screws in the drive frame bay.

28. Stuzo

Stuzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The reason you didn't have to phone microsoft is because they had some problems with there activation system a few months back where it was not letting lots of people activate for no apparent reason. I think they wiped a lot of there activation records to try to make the system more useable and reduce all the phone calls, so a lot of systems can now be reactivated without having to phone them up.

As for not having to change jumpers, it is possible that your existing drive was already set to slave. If a drive is set to slave, but there are no other drives on the same channel then it will just work.