Hard Drive v DV quality comparision

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by hillbilly1, Dec 30, 2006.

1. hillbilly1

hillbilly1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, hope you can help!

I am looking for a camcorder for family events, will need to do basic editing and widescreen recording appeals to me. After weeks of research I have come to a bit of a dead-end.

I like the Idea of a Hard-Drive – I can’t help but compare DV with my VHS recorder (I would not replace it with another tape-machine, it would be DVD or Hard Drive) but how good is the quality of Hard Drive compared to DV?

I like the Sony SR50 (£400, unable to find any reviews!, is 10 x zoom adequate?) but would I be better spending say half of that on a Canon MV940 (£200, seem to get a lot for the cash) until the Hard Drive gets better/cheaper in 2/3 years? Would I notice any difference between the two when playing the results back on my TV ?

Any ideas/views would be much appreciated.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I can understand this, and many feel the same - they associate tape with old technology. But... DV is nothing like VHS. VHS is horrible by today's standards. DV is very, very good. It is a much less compressed format than MPEG2 used in HDD or DVD cams, and generally gives you best quality for your money.

camcorderinfo.com is a good review site, but it is US based so you need to translate model numbers. They have a review of the SR80 (which is like our SR70, which in turn is same as the SR50 just with a larger HDD):
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR-SR80-Camcorder-Review.htm

Compare that to the review of the Canon ZR700 (which = MV960)
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-ZR700-Camcorder-Review.htm

Comparing the MV940 and the SR50, for overall picture quality there won't be that much difference, but the cheaper MV940 is slightly better. (You may not be able to notice though).

3. hillbilly1

hillbilly1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Mark,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have come across camcorderinfo (very good), but was not aware of the different model numbers! they rate the sony SR100 (SR90 here) and of course the Canon Elura 100 (MVX460) I will pop to the local camera shops & take a look at the Canons, & do a little research on the "motor noise" issues. Once again, many thanks for your reply.

4. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I have the Sony SR90 and get very good results when connecting direct to DVD Recorder , the PQ is comparable with Mini DV but not as good as the PQ from my Sony HC1E ( high def ).

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    The SR90 is significantly better than the SR30/50/70 range.

6. hillbilly1

hillbilly1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

The SR90 does indeed look good, and is a bit more "future proof" but is the PQ worth an extra £300 ? regarding the Canon MV940, I am unable to find the american "equivalent" for a review..

7. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    When choosing the SR90 the deciding factor for me was the 30GB ( 7hr recording ) , PQ was maintained by the larger CCD and T coated Carl Zeiss Lens.

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    It is the ZR600. In terms of picture quality will be the same as the ZR700, or MV960. The difference is the MV960 has AV input.