Hard drive to RJ45 question...

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by flashf1, Dec 10, 2018.

1. flashf1

flashf1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hope I'm posting this in the right section, but it's multi device set up so not sure where to post!

I've just changed to Google Wi-Fi (2 points) and am very happy with it's performance and reliability so far. The problem is that unlike my last router, there is no usb input. I used this input previously to connect a 4tb portable hard drive which I then used for "infuse" (similar to plex) for viewing my movies/tv shows on apple tv. I now cannot do this. The google wifi points do have an extra Ethernet port on each.

So the question, is there any way of connecting my usb hard drive to an Ethernet port, like a converter/bridge, not really sure! I don't really want to go to the expense of having to buy a NAS

Many thanks

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,629
    As you have correctly said, you need a Network Attached Storage device. Your options would be to re-use your router as an access point and continue to use the USB port on it (This may not work, as some routers will not function as a USB host when in AP mode) or get an empty NAS enclosure with a USB port like this one - Synology DiskStation DS115j 1-bay (no disk) NAS Enclosure | Ebuyer.com

Both options will need some configuring but it should be possible to get this up and running.

3. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Is it possible to use the Google Wifi in an AP mode only? I.e. keep your original router for internet access and your USB sharig etc, but disable the wifi and let the GWifi do that task.

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,704
    Another alternative; keep the Google kit as is, then reconfigure the old router to do nothing except host your USB drive as it did before. To do so you'd have to reconfigure the router as described in the "Using Two Routers Together" FAQ pinned in this forum but turn off it's Wi-Fi (or leave Wi-Fi on if you like, and get a extra Wi-Fi AP.)

5. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,162
    Sometimes the answer is in the question.. :)

I'm with @mickevh, the old router is the USB/LAN bridge you are looking for with only a tiny bit of tweaking needed.

6. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,629
    The only issue is that all of the routers I've come across won't act as a USB bridge in AP mode. You may find this won't work.

7. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,704
    Not too many routers offer a specific "AP Mode." If you follow the instructions in the aforementioned FAQ, any routers so configured are still "routers," it's just that we've arranged things so that the IP addressing doesn't get messed up. There's no reason to believe they won't continue to function as USB storage hosts is they offered such out of the box (again, not all routers function as storage hosts.) It'll certainly cost you nothing to try it. The worst thing that will happen is it won't work. Though bear in mind, the IP address to access the storage will change from what it was originally.