1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Swop

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by GJC, Oct 24, 2005.

1. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I used to own a Compaq Presario S3350Uk (p4 2.66ghz - I wanted to put the Compaq hard drive into an old Advent (p4 1.3ghz) and use this temporarily as my main system until I get a new PC.

I thought this would be straight forward - set jumper on HD to Master and plug into existing Primary Master ide channel on Advent (which is where the old advent HD is/was, but when the PC is switched It boots past the bios F1,F2 phase then the screen stays black and doesnt do anything.

----

I've checked all the cables they're plugged in correctly as they work fine with the old Advent HD.

The Compaq O/S was Win XP Home SP2 and the Advent HD is exactley the same.

----

Any idea on how I can use the old Compaq (which is a Maxor 80gb) with the Advent?

Thanks!

2. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The components in the Advent will be different to the Compaq so you will need to do a re-install of the operating system and program files for the disk to work in that PC. If you have data on that disk, make sure that you have a backup of it incase you overwrite it while performing the install.

3. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I thought that would be the case. Was hoping there would be a way of booting into it the drive. I'll just use it as a slave and take what I need from it. - Cheers!