1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Storage....

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Johndm, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Now...I'm a good boy, and back up all my original pictures to CD/DVD before I even look at them, also keeping copies on my H/D.

But I seem to be filling up my drive at 750mb to over 1gb per days shooting at an airshow.

My drive is in 3 partitions, C BOOT, D BACKUP, and E RECOVER.

I currently only ever use C, which has 59gig free, 40gig used.

Can I use the free space on D for files/pictures (1.25gig used and 86gig free), or is this part of the drive best left alone?

As I understood, D and E are for system recovery (which I have had to use once) to restore the machine to 'out of the box' condition, but I'm unsure if the 'restore' needs the 86gig on D to be left free.

Alternativly, anyone use one of the widely available USB external hard drives....are they as quick as an internal, or should I just install a secondary internal one?

:hiya:

2. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Partitioning is a somewhat arbitrary activity, but presumaby E contains a copy of the OS installation files and, from the sound of it D is just a partition. If it's got 86G free I don't see any reason not to use it, you won't be overwriting any files that are needed for system recovery.

I would add an internal disc if you want more storage. External discs shouldn't be significantly slower than internal ones, but in my experience they can sometimes be just a little unreliable and its 2 more boxes to get in the way.

300G discs are available for ludicrously small sums of money these days.

An external disc would be good as a back-up device though.

Bill

3. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    ive been fighting a loosing battle with my 80GB hdd for weeks now, its actually forcing me to delete the crap pictures!

although that being said i need to format my pc, its got so slow, but without a DVD writer and having 60GB of pictures its proving a little difficult, i think im just gonna have to get another disc drive when i have some spare green.

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi Bill,

All that shows in D is 'Drivers, Tools and WUTemp', and all the OS files seem to be in E as you suggest, so I'll dump a few gigs of archived stuff into D.. :smashin:

5. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Mine went 'slow' a few weeks ago. I tried everything to get it back to speed, but no joy, so I did a System reinstall with the recovery disk that came with the PC. No reinstalling windoze etc, it just put it back to 'out of the box config, which although was very cool, still left me days of work to get it back to my previous setup.

6. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I know that feeling well :thumbsup:
    Bit the bullet and bought a 250gb external firewire drive the other day, should be enough for a while.

7. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    shouldn't have spent that £80 so fast

8. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    its reet im gonna be archieving most of my shots to CDR anyway so i recon ill cut it down to about 20Gbs by the end of the week.

it was good beer, and good petrol, it wasn't £80 squandered

9. alastair

alastair
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, look into a RAID array if you are concerned about losing data. Not sure if its RAID 5 or RAID 1 which is best but both are good for certain purposes and ensure against data loss.

10. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Easy option is an external and an internal ...

Buy a separate external case (one with a fan ideally) from ebay and an 250GB or whatever HD and a smaller extra internal HD. Takes five minutes to put one in the external drive case and then the other in your desktop. Plug and Play.

Then use Handy Backup to sync your normal documents folder and your photos folder on the new internal hard disk to the external.

You don't really need 'drive' D, but might want to keep it free if you don't know computers that well and want to use the makers restore CD's. Just saves possible hassle.

11. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'm 'fairly up' on computers, but no expert... its just I was'nt sure if the huge empty section on D would be used for manufacturers restore (not windoze system restore), and if by using that area for storage, I might have probs if I need to use it in the future.... :eek:

An external drive looks to be an option (I have fitted internal drives/DVD etc, so not shy of that), I like the idea of being able to easily take a huge amount of data and dump it onto another machine.

I have spare firewire sockets front and rear....further research required... :D :hiya:

12. sorbiegunner

sorbiegunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  13. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Cheers for the links..... :smashin:

14. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless things have changed recently Seagate have the best reliability rep.

Unless your system is fairly recent it may not recognise hard drives that are very large (think it's something like over 127Gb). eg a 160G drive would only have 127 useable.

I have an enclosure with a laptop drive in it - small and needs no external power. When you start with a new drive it has to be partitioned before you can format it and use it. Maybe someone knows a cleverer way but I had to connect the drive to the IDE cable (with an adaptor) so I could run fdisk on it. Then I put it in the housing and windows could see it needed formatting when I plugged in the USB.

15. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    yeah, its pretty recent..P4 3.4GHz, and the partitions added together (C,D,E) = 186Gb.. :smashin:

16. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the maker just chose strange names when setting the drive labels on your system.
    The recovery partition would normally be hidden so you would not see it in windows.

That leaves you with a more normal setup of the drive split in two roughly equal logical drives C and D. Labels like 'system' and 'data' might be more appropriate.

Is this a brand name machine? There is no way half the drive space is needed for 'backup' or recovery functions. Backing up to the same physical drive is daft anyway. Just use the space on D: . If it were mine I'd rename the drive label to 'data files' or something.

17. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Its a MEDION Pc...German made... :eek: They are sold at.....wait for it....
    Toys R Us.. :eek: :eek: ..

BEFORE you take the ****, check out the spec and prices. Mines not there now, as its a year old.

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Category.aspx/TruHome/TruComputers

They come with the HD in 3 partitions...C as normal, D labelled BACKUP contains folders Drivers 106mb, Tools 945mb, and WUtemp which is empty, and 85.6gb free space.
    E labelled RECOVER contains 5.84gb of NDDTree and Recover folders.

18. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you're using XP (and Windows 2000) there's no need to go to these lengths. Just open control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management and the disks should appear (external and internal) and you can partition and format them from there. I've used several external drives and they could all be formatted this way.

WUTemp is a temporary folder that windows update uses. AFAIK it can be safely deleted and will be recreated when you next do an update. If you want an extra bit of security you could back up the Drivers and Tools folder to DVD.

19. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Medion is well respected.

The biggest brand in Germany I believe. Aldi have had some good deals on them in the past with people queuing outside for them. I've always built my own PC's but I considered a Medion because of the price/spec. Didn't get one though :)

WUtemp is the default name for windows update temporary files folder during the update procedure.Delete it if you want.

Reading up a bit on Medions it seems the stuff on D: is there so you can back it up to CD if you want to have a copy of the drivers - thats all. You can use D: as normal.

20. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been building my own PC's since the 386 with dos. Must get up to date with these new fangled ways :rotfl:

You'd think XP would at least acknowledge the drives existance and offer the means to set it up when you connect it....

21. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    never said it was!:D Were you drinking the beer or the petrol?:D

22. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    There are a couple of factory disks that came with the machine, Its one of these I used recently to put it back to 'fresh out of the box' condition after it went totally ti** up. I'm guessing that this recovery disk uses the stuff already on D and E to reinstall C if you get what I mean? One recovery CD couldn't hold XP and all the other preinstalled stuff..

Good idea for me to back up those drivers etc, but guessing again that I might be wise to leave them on D too. That would still give me another 85.6gb to use as extra storage.. :smashin:

23. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the bit I read about it the stuff on D: is created by the recovery process that the restore CD generates from the image files on E:
    It also said the files on E: are in CD sized chunks so you can back them up too - which is the reason the partition is left visible.