1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive problems

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by BlueOrange25, May 28, 2004.

1. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I recently installed a Western Digital Caviar 200GB JB (IDE with 8MB buffer) hard drive into my PC as a replacement for a Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160GB SATA. It is currently the only hard drive in the system, and operates on the primary IDE channel.

The system BIOS recognised the drive easily enough. One thing that does concern me is the fact that it only recognises 8.4GB out of 200GB. I know I need a Windows service pack and further software updates from Western Digital to reach the full capacity, but is it normal to have so little? :confused:

Also, I noticed a 'clicking' sound coming from the hard drive and a high pitched 'whirring' sound. I also noticed this problem on the Deskstar which eventually stopped working after several weeks. :confused:

Has anyone else come across this problem on a brand new HDD? If so, is there anything I can do to remedy the situation? I haven't installed the OS on the hard drive yet, nor is there any other data on it. If anyone has any suggestions, I'll be glad for the advice. :lease:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    Have you formatted the HD? If so when you booted you fdisc did you select large block??? I think it is called LBA or LAB. If not I do not think dos will not recognize any thing above 8GB.

3. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432

LDS - Large Disk Support - answer YES/NO when FDISK starts.
    Selecting NO will mean you can't have any partitions greater than 2Gig in size.

Check in BIOS - if BIOS does not recognise the disk for its true size then there is a problem. BIOS does not care whether a disk is partioned or not - it simple reports on header information on the drive set by the manufacturer.
    Check if you have it set for <AUTO> in BIOS for disk configuration.
    You can also get the drive specs from the manufacturer ( possibly printed on the drive itself ) and physically enter them yourself.
    ie enter the heads / cyclinders / interleave etc etc specific to the drive and see if that picks up properly ........ if not the drive is DOA and you should have it replaced.
    TBH - I would DOA it to the supplier - your mother board seems to support SATA ... and therefore is modern and should have no problems auto indentifing and configuring the drive.

4. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Thanks for the replies. :smashin:

The system BIOS seems to be fine. I'm not too bothered by the fact that only 8.4GB is recognised. I know I need the Windows XP service pack and some software from Western Digital to correct this. :rolleyes:

Thankfully the funny noises have gone. All it took was some perseverance. :)

The problem now lies in the fact that when I try to install Windows XP, setup can't access the hard drive. It detects no mass storage device, and I haven't been given a setup/installation disk. As you can probably tell, software and setup are my pitfalls. :(

If anyone can tell me how I can solve this one or where I can get a hold of a Western Digital HDD setup disk, it would be much appreciated.

Also, how can I get to FDISK. Bear in mind the hard drive is brand new and has absolutley nothing on it. All that seems to come up when I turn on the power is a message saying 'BIOS not found', despite the fact that I can access it quite easily. :confused:

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    I think you need a windows start up disk/floppy for when you boot up, then type in

CD C:

then

FDISK

Then choose big disk support.

I would recommend you partition you HD with that much space on it and in NTFS rather than FAT32.

But I would hang on to see what Ethics Gradient says, he know what he’s talking about and it is so long since I did my drive.

6. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    A mate of mine bought a Maxtor 160gig SATA drive, to plug into his MSI nforce 2 chipset motherboard. Before Windows XP would see the drive, he had to download and boot from a utilty by Maxtor, called 'Max Blast'. This prepared the drive for the full capacity, and he was also able to partition it from there. After that, win XP found (all of) it no problem.

Maybe Feature Tool (v1.94) is the Hitachi equivalent? (click on 'install your drive' link - top-right of page)

I would also check the jumpers on the drive itself, and see if they are set to 'cable-select' (some mobo bios's dont like this), and if so change it to master.

Dean