Hard drive or PVR

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Robert fisher, Feb 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Robert fisher

Robert fisher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to buy the smart tv Samsung ue46f8000 and as it has freesat built in and two tuners I want to skip my sky plus box and save a fortune with freesat. However, to pause and record tv do I need a PVR or can I just plug in a hard drive?

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    I may be wrong but I believe on that model even with a Freesat tuner and a Freeview tuner you cannot watch one and record a different channel.
    If that is the case I'd suggest buying a separate PVR.

3. Robert fisher

Robert fisher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does say that it has dual tuners so that you can watch two channels at the same time, so you can watch one and record another on a hard drive. But, with a hard drive, can you pause live tv?

4. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Extremely doubtful. Get a pvr with the pause facility if such thing exists

5. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    For the sake of fifty quid (or thereabouts) I bought a 500GB Samsung HDD for my F8000 and it works well enough but it is no substitute for a fully-blown PVR.
    Buy one and try it and if you do end up buying a PVR (I think you will) having another recording device is no bad thing :)

On Edit, forgot to say, the USB HDD can't rewind live TV but can pause it. Big plus points for dedicated PVR are Series Links, Rewind Live TV, better EPG integration.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  6. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,507
    Couldn't agree more on a separate PVR being better but here in Oz my F and ES both pause and rewind live TV. To get a pause or rewind you may have to press record first...... For a short while I thought firmware had fixed that foible but it seems to be a requirement......
    One tuner will show TV and the other on the F will record a different channel. We have no Freesat but in any case a single tuner can show a channel and then record that channel and record and rewind. Without the second tuner in the ES you then cannot watch or record or anything else on another channel unless it is on the same multiplexer. No issue in OZ - I have none I can do that with in Canberra with one tuner or two you have to be very careful with overlaps in the schedule manager on different channels on the same tuner - It will refuse to do it! Here I have series link etc no problem. The lack of the logo just means they may have missed some of the weirder features required to display the logo - rarely important for most users.
    I use an HDD and a PVR - PVR when the TV schedule manager and attached HDD won't play nicely. When they do there is one less thing to switch on!!