1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive or not

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by phil5743, Dec 11, 2004.

1. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm planning on getting a DVD recorder but was not sure about getting one with a hard drive, as I already have Sky+ and have no problems with capacity so far. Does anyone use Sky+ alongside a hard drive recorder and are there any benefits I might not have thought of? Can commercial DVD's be archived to the hard drive and is it possible to copy from the Sky+ box to the separate drive? Logic would tell me just to get a DVD recorder minus the hard drive but I don't want to have regrets later on. Thanks.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    As far as I can see, a hard drive is useful if you want to do any editing (like removal of adverts) before you burn to DVD. Also useful for copying stuff from DVD-RAM to DVD-R.

3. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Many users on here have Sky+ and a HDD/DVD recorder combo. In addition to the "de-padding & de-adding" the key benefit for me is the ability to set up a 6hr+ copy out of Sky+ overnight onto the hard drive and then divide up into ad-free programmes for archiving or watching. If you were to do a 6hr copy out onto 1 DVD the quality would be virtually unwatchable, believe me!

4. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    providing SKY+ drive is big enough for your day-2-day needs then the main issue i see with SKY+ and either DVDR or HDVDR is having to archive in 'real time' - if you could dump stuff from SKY+ directly to ext HD - then there's big benefit in another HD - otherwise i'd just get DVDR

i dont think you can dump direct to any DVDR, but if it's at all possible, that's the machine i'd be looking for

5. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Also from what I can gather you cant watch anything else when your copying from sky +