Hard drive noisy when multiple streams playing

Danieluwe

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a bit of a problem with my current setup and the amount of noise the Hard disks are making,

I have a 300gb maxtor hd in my main system which houses all my media,

If the two playback machines i have start to play a dvd each simultaneously over the network the drive becomes horrifically noisy! A constant grinding noise which is really infuriating if i'm using my system while the rest of the family is streaming media.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to eliminate this problem.

Thanks in advance

Daniel.

ps this is not the system drive.

Get a drive enclosure of just some rubber 'noiseblocker' mounts - both require the drive to be mouted in a 5 1/24 drive bay, but will isolate teh drive from teh chassis and cut down the noise a lot.

I think the main problem you have here is that two DVD's will be recorded to different parts of the hard drive. If your network is trying to access both files at the same time the head will be zipping around like a mad thing getting data from one part of the drive for one movie and another part of the drive for another movie.

Defragging the drive may help a little as the data will at least be contiguous for each of the files and the head will only have to switch between two parts of the drive but even this would be a problem for most drives.

A striped RAID array may work better....but I do not know enough about them to say for sure and I could be talking tosh here!

Only way to really resolve the problem is ensure only one DVD movie is watched at any one time. Or fork out 20 quid for a cheap DVD player for one of the users and get them to watch the DVD in the old fashioned way.

Mark

Thanks for the advice, i think i may just have to try and restict the amount of streams running at once,

Bit of a shame though kinda defeats the purpuse of having the media shared across the network.

Thanks again,

Dan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom