Hard drive noise

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Trollslayer, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,406
    I have been running a small XBMC on a small HTPC which is OK but recently decided that after upgrading my server to Win8 it would be best for XBMC - local media and a fairly fast system so it is more responsive. Plus may as well use the waste heat for my living room.
    I have soundproofed the case pretty thouroghly, used a low noise cooler etc. so it is barely audible.
    The remaining noise (which I can live with if I must) is from the ten hard drives and gets out via the intake and exhaust fans.
    Does anyone have experience with small acoustic baffles which would help to reduce this noise?
    Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. Dialatech

Dialatech
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    You can Buy Sound Proof Hard Drive enclosures, I have used these before and are good but very expensive. I think i paid about 100 pound per Encolsure. Each Enclosure holds 3 hard drives.

Other way i did try was using Silent Sound Proof LIAN-LI Foam around the Hard drives but this did the job but there was still noise.

Personally its does not matter what you do, you will also have some sort of noise unelse you go with a complete fanless passive computer.

3. bryanchicken

bryanchicken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    do you spin them down? Spun down they are zero noise :)