Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hard drive in the Panasonic 85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Canary Richard, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Canary Richard

Canary Richard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know the specification for the 80GB hard drive in the Panasonic DMR-E85H DVD/Hard Disk Recorder? Should it ever fail in the future and I need to replace it, I would like to know the spindle speed RPM. I suspect it is 5400rpm. Can anyone confirm this?

From reading various message boards it seems important not to replace it with a higher spec drive which could cause problems with the amount of power required to drive it.

I've emailed Panasonic UK but received a snooty reply saying that they won't tell me!

2. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not the power drawer of the drive but the firmware of the recorder limiting the usable capacity to 80Gb. I dare say the 120Gb or 160Gb version of whatever is installed just has 6 or 8 platters instead of the 2 or 4 of the original drive.

3. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The US version of the E85 has a 120Gb HDD, not sure whether it will work on the European models but I suspect not.

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If it fails, you should be able to see the drive make and model from the one in the machine. A problem might arise if the model or equivalent is obsolete by then. But I suspect any equivalent capacity drive the same size (2.5" or 3.5") would do.