1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Gaming Nightmare

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by EmissarY, Sep 1, 2004.

1. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please please could someone provide some help...

I am having problems playing games on my pc.

Basically, I have 2X120GB Seagate SATA drives, not in any raid config, but simply as drive C and D.

Since January 2004 I have been running my pc this way.

My pc is an Athlon 3200XP, Asus A7N8X deluxe mobo, 1GB OCZ Platinum ram, ATI 9800 Pro, Enermax 420W PSU.

My problm is this:

When I install Win xp pro with sp1, I go and download all updates. Then I install all latest drivers for all my hardware, inc DX9c and Catalyst 4.8 and Nforce 4.27 drivers.

Now, my pc is fine, but the minute I install my Catalyst driver on, I hear a strange beep/whine from my hard drive.

After inst the Catalyst drivers, I reboot as instructed and then get backj to the desk top.

When I try to run 3dmark 03 or quake 3 for example, I hear the same beeping/whine from my hard drive and the game or 3dmark starts to load. When in the game or 3dmark, the graphics are jerky, pausing every 10 secs or so and resuming in a loop. All the time I am still hearing this beep/whine from the hard drive.

I am starting to lose my head with this as I have tried my graphics card in my frineds pc and it worked fine. I then tried his graphics card (also 9800 pro, connect3d) in my rig and it gives the same errror as before, this beep/whine/squeaking sound.

Can anyone suggest what this could be, short of me buying 2 new hard drives....I'm beginning to think that SATA drives are pants. They are not even a year old as I bought them in Dec 2003.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HHHHEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EmissarY.

:confused:

2. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +854
    Have you tried isolating each drive to see which it has this problem on?

never had a problem with mine - more likely the luck of the draw (as with any hard drive)

3. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Change the IDE driver from Nvidia to MS standard. Nvidia IDE driver is too flaky in my opinion. When it first came out it had to be pulled because it was so lame. It was then re-introduced about a year later but I tried it and still had problems with certain apps.

4. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried both drives separatley with a fresh OS install and full NTFS format and repartition and still the same.

With regards to the nvidia/MS IDE drivers same goes. Both have been tried and still i get the same results.

The thing is I cant help but feel its something to do with the ati catalyst drivers, cause when i put the on for the first time, then i get this beeping b**ls**t.

I am currently doing a disc check and defragmentation to see if this helps.

BOOOOO...

:mad: