hard drive fan in sky+ box

F

forest stu

the fan in my sky box is now louder than before, now it is annoying. I rang sky yesterday and they told me my box had been updated to keep the box more cooler so the fan will be louder, has anyone else noticed the problem or is it my box, which
is what i think it is. It may mean getting an engineer? out to look
at it to tell me what i think i know
Cheers
Forest Stu

bignairy

Standard Member
Having had one V2 box fail due to overheating, I suggest you might want to think twice about doing anything too drastic!

H

hutchingsp

Is there a reliable way to force the update?

I figure that hard drive's in action pretty much all the time so the cooler it is the longer it should last..

Starburst

Novice Member
The fan is temperature controlled, it should only be running if the internal SKY+ temp is too high which is mainly caused by poor ventilation and/or too high an ambient temp.
The recent update has probably lowered the trigger temp which is causing the fan to activate more often and perhaps has never been needed before.
The problem is that the SKY+ fan is small and has a high RPM which equals noise, during the early HD upgrades it seemed common to reduce the RPM but have the fan running 24/7 and therefore reduce the noise but still cool the system.

troymcclure

Standard Member
Since the last software upgrade the fan on my v2 box is switching on every so often even when in standby doing nothing.

Before, it would only kick in when in action (recording/playing).

troy

Starburst

Novice Member
Originally posted by troymcclure
Since the last software upgrade the fan on my v2 box is switching on every so often even when in standby doing nothing.

Before, it would only kick in when in action (recording/playing).

troy

Which might indicate that the trigger temp has been lowered and the box is getting too warm with just the HD spinning 24/7.
Putting the box into standby doesn't reduce the power consumption and therefore heat generation of the box as much as you would imagine.

Stereo Steve

Novice Member
I have also noticed the fan runs more often on my box lately. The change co-incided with a replacement box so I guessed the fan control was just a little more sensitive.

I think it's a good thing as the box gets very, very hot and must have led to hdd failures. Would be nice to find a quieter fan though. Maybe Pabst make one that size. I'm planning to change the HDD for a Samsng 120gb soon though so I may see if that runs cool enough to stop the fan all together.

STOWITBELOW

An earlier post stated the trigger temp has been reduced. Other upgrade info on this & other forums have changed or added various PC fans for improved cooling - reduced noise. (Fanmate seems popular). Despite my upgraded Samsung drive, that runs infinatly cooler than the standard Maxtor (hot enough to burn) I too have noticed my fan coming on. It didn't before despite the extreme temp. Rather than do this, turn the TV up!

P

parknride

Ah that explains it, had thought it must have been my imagination but ,now I think back, it had had an update about the time the extra noise started. They must have had a lot of probs to warrant this change. Bloody annoying racket now, seems to be on virtually permanent, think I might have to start looking at aftermarket fans

r331nwt

Standard Member
Hi, I recently upgraded the hard disk in my Pace PVR2 box (500gb), which was successful in every way etc. I had the EPG version at the highest level before the upgrade (forced s/w download), however since upgrading the hard disk the cooling fan is always on (regardless of state). My initial thoughts were dirty fan, but I cleaned it when I took the lid off to replace the HDD. Nothing else about the box or the environment has changed, my only thoughts are that the new drive generates more heat (but then when it is standby mode, why would it?) or the replaced drive has changed the trigger level of the thermostat somehow, any thoughts e.g. redo the EPG firmware update or something?

r331nwt

Standard Member
Thanks for the link, looks interesting i'll check it out earlier. I ad the CE issue in the back of my mind when I bought the Hitachi drive, however in comparing the Deskstar and the Cinestar (the so called PVR suitable drive) they were identical and there was only one difference - that was 5 degress C in the ambient running temp between the two. I considered that that would should not seem to be a problem, but perhaps the Deskstar presents itself in such a way that the Sky box thinks it needs to compensate with cooling?

tinytim

I think the CE drives communicate their running temperatures back to the main board so that the fan can be switched on as necessary - which seems to be quite infrequent.

I originally installed a 250GB Hitachi drive but needed the fan controller - now redundant - so finally opted for a Seagate CE drive.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom