Hard drive enlosure advice

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Legacy, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Legacy

Legacy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a way to store all my media content to be easily accessible to my MacBook without having to build a file server or anything. I came across the idea of using HDD enclosures and am basically looking for some recommendations.

Basically I need an enclosure that can hold at least four SATA hard drives, 1tb or more per drive would be ideal with support for different brand / size drives, and linkable to my MacBook via firewire would be great. I've had a look around the internet but am not really sure what I should be looking at with regards to brands, other features etc.

Also, if there is a better way of getting a lot of media storage to my Mac, please let me know, thanks!

(by the way I live in the UK, so any shopping links would have to deliver to the UK).

Thanks in advance for any replies!

EDIT:

Looking around some more, this seems like a difficult thing to find without shelling out several hundred pounds, and that's without even having any storage space.

So are there better ways to do what I want to do? I'm fairly new to the whole HTPC scene, but basically I just want to have a lot of storage and room for expansion accessible by my MacBook as opposed to having a whole separate system for handling my media. The main reason for this is because I think it will be cheaper, I don't want to have to build a PC (too much hassle), and I like using the mac OS and remote etc.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Its a trade-off. The easy answer is get a Drobo but as you say its hundreds before any actual storage but it is scaleable easily. The alternative is to buy fairly cheap 1Tb drives and use a hub. The WD My Book USB range is fairly inexpensive (a 1Tb recently cost me £63 but £79 is more likely) and you can expand those as needed. Using the same but with firewire ports to daisy chain drives is roughly 50% more expensive but would be better, whether you want to spend the extra is up to you.

There isn't really a cheap NAS that truly fits in between.

3. Alistair

Alistair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Another vote for Drobo, but they aren't cheap.