Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hard Drive Car Head Unit

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by frozendexter, Jun 10, 2005.

1. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, sorry if this has been coverd before but does anyone know of any head units available that either use a removeable/fixed hard drive and flash media or similar other than the over priced Sony MEX-1HD.

There was mention at some time of a company producing a head unit with a built-in HDD and WIFI capability for downloading tracks from your PC but this seems the have vanished.

Cheers.

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    There is the Pioneer DEH-P900HDD. 10Gb hard drive and Magicgate memory stick slot...but I think it retails at around the £1000 mark :eek:

4. jonbd

jonbd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There is someone selling them on ebay at the moment with the smp3-c or dmp3-a for £174.99 all in, just bagged me one with the dmp3-c. You just have to add your own hdd in!

5. as8602

as8602

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How have you got on with this? Isn't this the head unit that can take a 2.5" HD as well as the external DMP3a? How much of a pain was it to connect to the external DMP3a?

6. jonbd

jonbd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    i got the one that comes with the internal 2.5" hdd. You put the HDD in the caddy and it slots into place in the front of the head unit, and you connect the caddy up to your PC to transfer files. It shows up as a normall hdd in windows so you can keep whatever structure you have for your mp3s, and can of course use it as a normall hdd. I don't have the dmp3a unit, thought it was a lot less convenient than the dmp3-c. Just waiting on a ISO to Ford wiring convertor to stick it in my car. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow so I'll give you the full low down then

7. as8602

as8602

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Great - look forward to hearing about it.

I was originally very keen to buy a headunit with the 2.5" internal cartridge, but dithered a bit, and then they seemed to be discontinued in the UK (used to be able to buy them from DABS).

Like you I felt that the integral HDD looked *way* more convenient. Though the external DMP3a does at least let you use a 3.5" drive, so you could have a 200GB drive for around the cost of a 2.5" 60 GB drive. Though the 2.5" drives are *supposed* to be more robust.

I can't believe that this isn't a bigger market, as it really shouldn't be too expensive to produce the iPod for the car. But, I've also been mystified as to why no-one can bring out a FreeView PVR with DVD recorder - but that's another issue...!

8. jonbd

jonbd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, installed the dension today. Took about ten minutes to take the old one out and stick this one in, nice and painless!! Sound quality is very nice and the dispay is very good, very clear and lots of info on screen. You can change the backlight colour as well! Operation of the unit for mp3s isn't all that intuitive, but i'm getting used to it and it works a lot better than any other system i've seen. All in all i'm very pleased with it!

9. swampi1234

swampi1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Any ideas where to get the Dension DH-100 from i've searched everywhere !!??

Cheers

10. jonbd

jonbd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    only place i've seen is the guy that sells them on ebay. keep your eyes peeled, he usually has at least one auction a week

11. as8602

as8602

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Got mine yesterday and love the MP3 convenience.

My suggestion to make navigation work well is to have an \artist\album kind of structure. Navigate to the album folder and press play to play the album, or navigate to the artist folder to play all their albums. Use random to play random tracks from the selected tree structure (so you can use random play for an artist's entire repertoire).

From playing, the quickest way to get back and select something else is to press UP or DOWN which gets back to the folder tree, very quick to navigate from there.

How have you found radio reception? Mine is pretty pants.

12. ajfoggy

ajfoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just bought a Alpine9847R and Alpine KCA-420i to go with my ipod, works a treat, sounds good and full control of ipod from headunit.

Cost £210 delivered for Alpine kit, plus £170 for 40gb ipod.

Maybe and option???

13. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Intersting thoughts on your Alpine combo ajfoggy.

I had exactly the same set-up for a week. Found it unusable!
    The tedious scrolling through albums/artists/songs etc. takes forever!
    If I wanted to get to an artist beginning with letter 'm' for example, it could take a minute or two of constant rotating the knob to get there - it was SO SLOW! - and therefore quite dangerous I found.

The solution I am happy with now, was a £10 cradle suckered to the windscreen, and a Monster charger/line out plug to line-in (aux) on back of the Alpine HU.
    This menas i get the same quality sound from the ipod, and retain it's fantastic functionality/display.

14. as8602

as8602

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    And isn't the display on the Alpine a bit useless for displaying the track/artist info, as it looks like a very basic display to me. I get the feeling that this kind of integration is only going to work well when designed into the unit, with a decent display, rather than retrofitted to make the ipod look like another CD changer.

Still can't believe there aren't more solutions for in-car jukeboxes.

15. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes it is on this particular HU. The more expensive Alpines HU's are better with much more display area etc.
    But no matter how much you spend on the HU, you cannot get round the tediously slow selection knob!
    Don't have first hand experience of the glide function. Not heard good things, but would like to see for myself.
    One other thing I dislike about the KCA is the fact it is always trying to charge the iPod, using up more unnecessary charge cycles.

16. jonbd

jonbd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah, that's how i have mine structured. FM reception is not great but gets the job done so I can listen to the footie, which is all I need