1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive capacity

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by pcpaz, Dec 21, 2002.

1. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently brough a 80Gb Seagate Barracuda, but after I installed under Windows XP Pro to capacity was reduced to 74.5Gb and it was already showing 66.7MB in used space, but there's nothing on the drive!!

Is there a way of utilising all the space on the hard drive??

2. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,983
    This bit sounds normal.

This bit doesn't. Seems a bit odd and not really sure what to suggest. Have you tried the disk cleanup section in the HD properties? Might show up something.

3. iputerfixer

iputerfixer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be bad sectors that were marked during the format.
    It is normal to have some bad sectors, but over 60MB?

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is certainly NOT normal to have bad sectors on a brand new drive!!

PC Paz,

Try installing Win XP Pro from scratch again (from a cold boot, not from within the Windows desktop). But this time, from the blue setup screens, delete all partitions that are listed and create a new partition, let Windows setup do a full format, and install XP onto that.

If the same problem appears again, go to the Command Prompt from the Windows Desktop and type

chkdsk C:

(if the HDD is another drive letter, put that in instead)

When it's finished checking, it will tell you if there are any obvious faults with the drive.

It'd be helpful if you pasted the results screen so we can see what it says :)

5. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the seagate barracuda 120GB and this shows as 111GB, ie the same ratio as 80/74.5. This is quite normal. In explorer, right click on the seagate drive and it will show you the capacity in GB and bytes. The bytes available should read about 80,000,000 bytes, ie 80GB. As for the 66MB I recall that, when newly installed, my drive had aready allocated some space - is this the NTFS system?

btw the seagate is brilliant and so quiet.

Regards

Epithet

6. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is NTFS, I have not got the the used space down to 5mb buy using Seagate's Discwiard software.

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Does your BIOS recognize the Seagate? I had to use their DiscWizard online when I put a Barracuda in my old pc to get it to work properly. The downloaded version I put on a floppy didn't work. At first it only saw it as a CD drive. When set up right it had 74.5Gb of usable space too.