Hard Drive Backup enquiry.

aet3

Established Member
Reaction score
I am running Vista Home Premium.
I have just purchased two external hard drives,
One I have loaded all my valuable video footages and pictures. The other I used for the Windows Backup Status & Configuration program.
I have noticed that this second backup also included all my videos and pictures.
I thought that the backup was the Computer Operating System, in case anything crashes. (Similar to the "Restore Point" when loading new updates etc).
Is this correct or am I duplicating the first external drive of video etc and don't need to do it ???
If I am wrong, can I or is it necessary to make a backup somehow of my operating system setup in case of computer crash etc ??
I hope I have explained my question correctly.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Hi
Thanks for your excellent response. The links were very interesting and useful.
One silly question - I have used system restore to create a restore point, which I assume is all my operating sysytem etc.
Question: IF the computer crashes or anything happens to my hard drive. How do I get the restore to run and recreate my computer back to the start point.
Sorry if this is very basic, but I am trying to learn as much as I can about computering.
Cheers.

Hi,
Turn computer on and keep hitting the F11 key, which is the most common key used for system recovery. You will see what F key to use by watching for it as you boot up. Follow instructions after your computer starts for system recovery.
Regards
J

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom