• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hard Drive Backup enquiry.

aet3

Established Member
I am running Vista Home Premium.
I have just purchased two external hard drives,
One I have loaded all my valuable video footages and pictures. The other I used for the Windows Backup Status & Configuration program.
I have noticed that this second backup also included all my videos and pictures.
I thought that the backup was the Computer Operating System, in case anything crashes. (Similar to the "Restore Point" when loading new updates etc).
Is this correct or am I duplicating the first external drive of video etc and don't need to do it ???
If I am wrong, can I or is it necessary to make a backup somehow of my operating system setup in case of computer crash etc ??
I hope I have explained my question correctly.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

aet3

Established Member
Hi
Thanks for your excellent response. The links were very interesting and useful.
One silly question - I have used system restore to create a restore point, which I assume is all my operating sysytem etc.
Question: IF the computer crashes or anything happens to my hard drive. How do I get the restore to run and recreate my computer back to the start point.
Sorry if this is very basic, but I am trying to learn as much as I can about computering.
Cheers.

jsansom007

Established Member
Hi,
Turn computer on and keep hitting the F11 key, which is the most common key used for system recovery. You will see what F key to use by watching for it as you boot up. Follow instructions after your computer starts for system recovery.
Regards
J

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom