Hard Drive and External Sound Card

M

Mannannan

I don't know if I am posting in the correct forum, please let me know if not.

I'm looking for some advice.

I have a laptop with work and probably always will.
I'd like to get an external hard drive of my own to store music and play it through my AV reciever (probably through the aux input).

I want to be able to come home plug in the laptop to the HD and Reciever and let the music play away.

Does anybody have any advice on how best to accomplish this.

I'm not currently bothered about DVD playback as I use a dedicated player for this using the coaxial input and the PS2 is going through the optical input. (amp has one of each).

Thanks

Big Adam

Novice Member
Simply buy an external USB hard drive caddy/enclosure.

Connect the enclosure to your laptop via USB.

Connect the laptop to the receiver via 3.5mmjack.

Use whatever media player you prefer within windows (winamp, itunes etc etc).

If your laptop supports USB2.0, get a USB2.0 enclosure (could get one anyway for when you upgrade the laptop! :D )

M

Mannannan

Sounds simple!!:D
3.5mm, that would be the headphone jack on the Laptop wouldn't it?
Isn't there an issue with sound quality using that, it's not exactly a line out, (or is it?).
:confused:

Big Adam

Novice Member
Originally posted by Mannannan
Sounds simple!!:D
3.5mm, that would be the headphone jack on the Laptop wouldn't it?
Yes, unless you have a separate line-out.

Originally posted by Mannannan
Isn't there an issue with sound quality using that, it's not exactly a line out, (or is it?).
:confused:
It's as good as you are going to get unless your receiver has a USB connection (like a Pioneer 2011). Shouldn't be too bad.

The alternative is to forget the laptop and build yourself a cheap dedicated music server.

M

Mannannan

Thanks Big Adam, quiet around here today!!

Originally posted by Big Adam
The alternative is to forget the laptop and build yourself a cheap dedicated music server.
Hmm, that's probably beyond me and might spoil the aesthetics.

I was thinking of using the second usb port on the laptop for an external sound card or more probably one of these

what do you think?

also I was looking just then at those external HDDs and I was wondering if they would be too slow to play music stored on them through the laptop?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony XH95 TV, Klipsch The Fives Speakers & Bias Light Reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom