• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hard disk warranty?

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Had my Mac Mini for about 9 months. Started to get very slow when opening apps. Opening a new tab in safari can take a couple of minutes(get the spinning wheel).
Tried repairing disk, but it fails and suggests I reformat disk,which I did a couple of weeks ago because of the same issue.Upgraded to ML at same time,was OK for a short while but problem has resurfaced.WOuld this be covered under warranty?or would it be considered wear and tear?

RobM

Distinguished Member
If it's the original HDD that came from Apple, it's covered under your warranty for sure, all components are :)

CamFire

Distinguished Member
It's covered under the one-year warranty, assuming you had it from new. Back up your data (if possible) first and take it into a Apple store and let them decide if the HDD is to be replaced.

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
I have a PC as well as the Mac Mini so have only just noticed...After trying to repair the disk, I restarted ,heard the start up sound, and thought everything was OK.But the Mac wont turn on...or rather it turns on, gets to Apple logo then switches off.

CamFire

Distinguished Member
If you want to continue trouble-shooting the Mac, then have a go at booting it up with the startup/install disc, open up DiskUtility, click on the HDD icon and see what status you get. It is likely the data is so corrupted on the HDD that the Mac cannot reasonably execute properly.

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Have booked a genius appointment. The thing is I installed some RAM. If they look at it, and decide to replace it, do they replace the whole thing or just the hard drive?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Have booked a genius appointment. The thing is I installed some RAM. If they look at it, and decide to replace it, do they replace the whole thing or just the hard drive?

If it is the HD that has failed or has a fault then they'll simply replace the HD. I'd still remove the RAM you've installed prior to taking it in for repairs. Your warranty would only cover you for the build you purchased and although your warranty isn't voided by your RAM, if they have to replace other parts or the entire Mac then your RAM would not be moved on over to a new machine. Also take note that even if the HD is okay Apple are likely to wipe it clean during the diagnostic and repair process.

Last edited:

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Damn, looks like I have somehow managed to misplace one of the original sticks of RAM!!
Hopefully it will just be the HDD that needs replacing.
I think its time to give up with this one now.Formatted drive yesterday,now I go through all the motions of downloading OSX, when it restarts I get a flashing folder with a question mark.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
Definitely sounds like a fault, but could be the logic board or drive controller rather than hard drive and thus could get swapped out. Worth swapping the RAM if you can find it. In saying that, RAM is very cheap these days so no major issue if you end up reverting back to stock if replaced?

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Hard Drive replaced under warranty, lucky really as only had a couple of weeks warranty left :thumbsup:

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
Cool. Glad it's resolved now fella. What I love about the Apple Genius' is that when you go in and tell them what the fault is, how you have tried to test it and the results of each test and they just say "Cool. We'll replace the part or unit then." without any further question. Like they get a feel for your knowledge and know its pointless going over it. You don't get that many places!

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
No, wont be getting AppleCare.Next time the HDD dies it will be replaced with an SSD.

Of course I understand thats all good if it is the HDD that goes and nothing else:D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom