1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Disk vs Recordable DVD?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by davidredge, Nov 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoping you can sort out a discussion we’re having: recordable DVD.

As far as I’m aware, recordable DVD has no EPG and works near-identically to a VHS (only recording better quality). I think to record from satellite, cable and freeview you need your STB hooked up (so therefore you can’t watch one digital channel and record another.

A colleague who is looking at buying a recordable DVD states that the system uses the 7-day EPG, allows for recording and watching different channels (without need for an extra STB). Essentially, he’s stated recordable DVD has the same features as a hard disk recorder – with the exception of removable media. I’m pretty sure that’s not the case.

I have a sneaky suspicion he’s only after me recording Little Britain and Monkey Dust from BBC3…

So, who is right. Me? Him? Neither? Both

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
  3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Avland was promoting the Panasonic TUCTH100 freeview PVR back in March and it is still not available. Thats eight months. Personally I would hold my breath on this one.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    If you want to record from Sky/Freeview/NTL then you do indeed need to have your Digibox connected to the DVD recorder and thus you can only record one channel at once. However virtually all mainstream DVD recorders allow you to 'Timeslip', i.e. watch something else on the disk whilst the unit is recording.

5. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would not even consider using a DVD recorder to time-shift television programmes. At best quality you get about an hour of recording per blank DVD, which is hopeless. Much is made of the fact that you can record up to six hours on a DVD, but what they don't tell you is that the resulting quality, because of the very high compression rate, is about as good as VHS in LP mode.

A hard drive recorder is much more useable. No discs to keep track of.

Spok.