Hard Disk Upgrade Topfield TF5800

FRH

Standard Member
Hi Folks,

Has anyone upgraded the harddisk in a Topfield TF5800? What's the deal?

Thanks.

FRH

Standard Member
rhubarbe said:
I have upgraded mine. It wasn't any big deal. Takes five minutes.
Hi Rhubarbe,

Thanks for your reply. What's involved exactly? Any constraints re. disk choice (size, spec, etc.).

Thanks a bunch (geddit?) :)

rhubarbe

Banned
A bunch of rhubarbe? I see.

Well upgrading the HDD of a Topfield. Taking care to leave it plugged in so you don't lose the signal, you need to buy a minimum 250GB SATA drive and a SATA to IDE converter.

Remove the screws that hold the top of the case of the Toppy. In order to do this you'll need a no. 7.5 Torx driver, and the screws undo clockwise.

Unfasten the HDD without removing the drive caddy (this is very fiddly but it is important that you do not remove the caddy as doing so would lead to a short circuit between the HDD and Motherboard).

Next, attach your new drive (use a drive of the same capacity because he SATA drive stores data vertically as well as horizontally so you will get double the capacity of a standard PATA drive) using the IDE to SATA convertor cable.

Next, comes the power (or Molex) cable. SATA drives require that the Molex connector be attached "upside down". It may be necessary to file off the square "bottom" corners of the nylon Molex connector in order to be able to firmly drive the connector home.

Select the HDD jumper as "Slave" - don't forget this is a SATA drive - and refasten the case screws.

Power on.

That's all there is to it.

nwhitfield

Novice Member
You can, of course, just do a straight swap for another standard IDE drive.

But whatever drive you install - and the same holds true for many PVRs - it's a good advice to check the power consumption and thermal specs for any new drive before buying.

You should aim to find a drive that takes very little more power than the one currently fitted in your PVR, and that gives off a similar amount of heat. That's because you can't be absolutely certain how much headroom there is with regard to either - you don't want to overload the power supply, which can cause glitches or worse, and you don't want to risk the unit overheating, either.

Nigel.

FRH

Standard Member
Thanks rhubarbe and nwhitfield.

The know-how knocking around here is stunning!

IanPM

Novice Member
rhubarbe said:
A bunch of rhubarbe? I see.

Well upgrading the HDD of a Topfield. Taking care to leave it plugged in so you don't lose the signal, you need to buy a minimum 250GB SATA drive and a SATA to IDE converter.

Remove the screws that hold the top of the case of the Toppy. In order to do this you'll need a no. 7.5 Torx driver, and the screws undo clockwise.

Unfasten the HDD without removing the drive caddy (this is very fiddly but it is important that you do not remove the caddy as doing so would lead to a short circuit between the HDD and Motherboard).

Next, attach your new drive (use a drive of the same capacity because he SATA drive stores data vertically as well as horizontally so you will get double the capacity of a standard PATA drive) using the IDE to SATA convertor cable.

Next, comes the power (or Molex) cable. SATA drives require that the Molex connector be attached "upside down". It may be necessary to file off the square "bottom" corners of the nylon Molex connector in order to be able to firmly drive the connector home.

Select the HDD jumper as "Slave" - don't forget this is a SATA drive - and refasten the case screws.

Power on.

That's all there is to it.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

rhubarbe

Banned
Aw, I feel sooo bad now.

Unscrew lid with normal philips scredriver making sure you have disconnected the Toppy first.

Remove HDD caddy (four screws attached to the floor of the unit).

Remove Molex and IDE connectors.

Take new IDE drive: I use these: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=308644

Make sure that jumper is set to master. Fasten HDD to caddy and caddy to floor of Toppy.

Fasten IDE cable to HDD making sure to line up the notch on the IDE cable connector with the socket on the drive IDE connector.

Fasten the Molex making sure that the chamfered edge side matches the socket on your drive.

Screw up the case.

Power on. Unit will autoformat drive.

That's (really) all there is to it. :)

Bunch of rhubarbe, chunter.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom