Hard Disk Recorders

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Richard46, Sep 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    HCC has reviewed a combined S VHS /Hard Disk JVC machine, september issue. They hint that stand alone HD machines without VHS are about to appear. I've been waiting for such a device for occassional time shifting; dont really want the whole TiVo type package or tape facility. Does anyone know about the hardware thats likely to be available soon.<br />Richard

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Richard,

Showshifter <a href="http://www.showshifter.com" target="_blank">http://www.showshifter.com</a>

Might be what you are looking for.

Not tried it myself yet, but gets a bit of interest on the USA forums.

Think they are based in Edinburgh.

Mark G.

3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Thanks Mark<br />Interesting but this appears to be a software implementation utilising your computer HD to record off the TV. While I have the laptop with Dvd etc I would not be keen on keeping it linked to the TV as I assume this involves. <br />But thanks for the suggestion.<br />Richard

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen the Nokia Media Terminal due for release shortly - about £500 .<br />Further info here:-<br /><a href="http://www.nokia.com/multimedia/mediaterminal.html" target="_blank">http://www.nokia.com/multimedia/mediaterminal.html</a>

Look at the PDF file.

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: cotopaxi ]

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: cotopaxi ]

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: cotopaxi ]</p>

5. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Many Thanks Cotopaxi, Looks interesting but all I really want is something with a hard drive, a good AV interface to a TV and a timer. <br />I'm begining to fear that such a simple and cheap device will not appeal to the marketing people of the manufacturers.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,087
    And a DVB Tuner built in.

7. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Yes I guess it would have a tuner but would mainly want to record of ITV Digital box. So just a scart to connect it like a VCR. Would not be able to record one programme while watching another of course but could live with that.<br />Richard

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    "You could live with that" !!!

No wonder manufactures are not pushing for digital tuners in TVs, VCRs, HDVCRs.

If people are content in just hooking up to a separate Digital STB then we are gonna be stuck with built in analog tuners for a long time to come.

9. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I look at it this way. The new Sky+ Digibox with HD is £300 plus £10 a month on top of what ever you are already paying. If other digital TV providers eg ITV Digital (which I use) come up with something similar it will no doubt have a similar subscription. i'm not keen on paying a subscription to be able to do what I have been able to do on a VCR for the last 15 years. Well I know the MPEG2 bitstream is going to be much better quality than VHS but the functionality is actully less. eg only one weeks programming; will only record from the inbuilt tuner etc.<br />I would only use it 2 or 3 times a month in any case. <br />No I can see that Tivo's and Digiboxes with HD's (and subscritions) are one solution, I am just suggesting a simpler one that I would rather go for.

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,087
    Did I say anything about subscriptions?

A DVB tuner should be supplied as standard in all new VCR and TV equipment, for reception of free-to-air programming. This does not require a subscription.

Of course, there should also be, as a plug in option, a conditional access module to allow for reception of subscription TV for those who have nothing better to do with their cash.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    A 'simpler solution' will be just like LV246 says, who I totally agree with.

I could do with upgrading my TV, VCR and a new camcorder, but alas there is NOTHING on the market that incorporates today's technology at an affordable price. So I'll just have to wait a few years.

For instance...

36" WS IDTV<br />SVHS/DVHSS/DVD Recorder VCR with digital tuner<br />Camcorder with 16:9 CCD

Am I asking for too much?