1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard disk recorders as audio jukebox?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by superpixel, Mar 8, 2005.

1. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never even used a DVD/hard-disk recorder, so sorry if the answer's obvious.

Is there any (or all?) DVD recorder with hard-disk, which allows audio CD's to be ripped to the hard-disk, so that music can be selected & played via an on-screen interface?

If so, dyou have to stick to the CD bitrate, or can can they be encoded at lower/mp3 rates? Also, how easy is it to rip and playback songs - eg just to select one CD and play all that through? Will my dear old mum be able to use it?

Many thanks!

2. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Would be a usefull thing to have.. but as far as I can tell none of the HD/DVD recorders alow you to do this.
    If you want to use the HD as an audio jukebox, the only way I can think of doing it is to use a PC to convert audo files to dvd-video using something like audo dvd creator ... http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    SDHoward have you used this product? It is difficult to see it's capacity from the web-site. It says it can handle 99 titles. Does this mean it can handle 99 CDs?
    Azzo

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think that must mean cd's.
    Basically once done, on the top menue you get a list of all the cd's, when you select a cd you get a list of all the tracks. You can use a scan of the cover (or anything else) to provide the background which it shows when playing tracks etc.

Easiest way to find out how it works is download it and try it.. I think its 30 days trial...

5. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Excellent idea. I will have a try.
    Azzo

6. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't there a part of Nero that lets you put multiple audio tracks onto a DVD too? Or is that a different format to dvd-video that it produces?

Cliff

7. Moroz

Moroz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys,

so that's a no then? maybe the new wave of recorders this year will include this feature. :)

im not sure authoring a DVD is worth the hassle over just maintaining a DVD-R/RW full of mp3s, but i'll look into it - thanks for the info Howard!

Moroz - I see no mention of a specific audio server function on the Lite-On?

9. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I might be wrong, but I don't think the current crop of DVD records allow DVD-R or +R full of mp3s, they only play CD-R with MP3s.
    Azzo

10. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2