1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Disk Freeview PVR or DVD/HDD Combi - which to buy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bejayar, Nov 26, 2004.

1. bejayar

bejayar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for a hard drive video recorder, but would also need to archive some recorded material to DVD-R.

I'm currently a Freeview user and mainly want to record digital free-to-air programmes.

I would like to be able to program the recording of broadcast programmes up to one week in advance, preferably using an on-screen electronic programme guide, but this is not essential and I could live with VCR style event programming if I have to.

The options I'm currently considering are:

1. a dvd/hdd combi - probably the Pioneer DVR-520 as (afaik) this is the only manufacturer offering both DV in and out.

2. a Freeview hdd pvr linked to a separate DVD recorder (again probably a Pioneer with DV in/out) for archiving purposes. The Humax PVR8000T (80Gb) looks good, but has only a single tuner and seems to offer programning of only now/next broadcasts via the EPG. The Fusion FVRT100 has the useful benefit of a twin tuner, and seems to offer better EPG programming of Freeview channels (up to 7 days), but only has a 40Gb hdd.

Any recommendations/advice from current users to help me make my choice, please?

Best regards.

Brian

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How reliable is EPG controlled recording? My experience of the program timings is that a 2 minute early start and a 5 minute late end usually catches all the program. ITV1, 2, 3 and ch 4 and 5 nearly always run unpunctually.

I use VideoPlus for the base info in then adjust the start and stop times, and also set the Freeview tuner timer to do the same. As the Radio times and others publish up to 11 days ahead this method is fine. Of course it's possible that PVRs can use PDC, but this doesn't work with freeview tuners (yet) as far as I know.

If the Fusion is more than about £40 dearer than the Humax then you could buy the Humax for recordings and a separate Freeview box for the TV or make do with analogue TV when there is a clash

3. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Humax now has the 8 day EPG - this was an OTA update or manual update for the 40GB model. I assume the 80GB has it pre-built in as it has only just come out - but you can get it upgraded.
    Also the Humax is mean't to be more stable than the Fusion.

If you can wait a little while (summer 2005?) Humax are releasing the PVR9200T which will be a twin tuner unit & possibly a removable/hot-swap hard drive allowing easy upgrade.

4. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to decide between the Fusion and the Humax . I like the idea of the twin tuner as it will be my only freeview box so I could watch TV and record something, but the Humax 80gb is cheaper than the Fusion 40gb.... what to do?

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Did you consider my suggestion above - Humax + another F'view box?

6. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats an extra box though, just getting a nice LCD soon and glass stand so want to keep things nice and neat. Is the Humax such a better box then?

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No idea which is better. I don't know either. It depends on your priorities. Big disk, money, one or two boxes under TV, being prepared to wait for big disk + two tuners next year, two digital tuners instead of one, assuming the LCD has analog built in. If you don't have LCD committed yet, then get one with a digital tuner and a Humax.