1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Disk Freeview PVR or DVD/HDD Combi - which to buy?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by bejayar, Nov 26, 2004.

1. bejayar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I'm in the market for a hard drive video recorder, but would also need to archive some recorded material to DVD-R.

I'm currently a Freeview user and mainly want to record digital free-to-air programmes.

I would like to be able to program the recording of broadcast programmes up to one week in advance, preferably using an on-screen electronic programme guide, but this is not essential and I could live with VCR style event programming if I have to.

The options I'm currently considering are:

1. a dvd/hdd combi - probably the Pioneer DVR-520 as (afaik) this is the only manufacturer offering both DV in and out.

2. a Freeview hdd pvr linked to a separate DVD recorder (again probably a Pioneer with DV in/out) for archiving purposes. The Humax PVR8000T (80Gb) looks good, but has only a single tuner and seems to offer programning of only now/next broadcasts via the EPG. The Fusion FVRT100 has the useful benefit of a twin tuner, and seems to offer better EPG programming of Freeview channels (up to 7 days), but only has a 40Gb hdd.

Any recommendations/advice from current users to help me make my choice, please?

Best regards.