1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Disk Failed

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by fatbaldbloke, Apr 15, 2005.

1. fatbaldbloke

fatbaldbloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think my hard disk in my Sky+ box has failed.

Recorded programs started stopping, sometimes given me the recording failed messaged, othertimes the program would just freeze.

Tried a planner rebuild, as expected no effect.

Then did a full reset. Inititially froze when trying to access the sky+ planner menu.

Rebooted box and tried to record. Doesn;t show up in planner as being recorded. Get failed message.

Live pause doesn't work. Pause symbol appears in bottom corner but action continues.

Box is over 16 months old so out of warranty. Rather than pay the £65 to some sky engineer, I think I'll try and replace the HDD myslef with a higher capacity drive.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what make of drive will work best or any "gotcha's" to look out for whilst upgrading (I've upgraded HDD's in PC's on many occasions)

Thanks

Chris

2. rishi

rishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have u tried doing the housekeeping option:
    You can do this by pressing services 401 Select and choose the housekeeping option.

WARNING - THIS WILL WIPE THE CONTENTS OF THE HARD DISK

This should fix the problem :smashin:

3. fatbaldbloke

fatbaldbloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, Did a full reset as described above. The missus nearly killed me 'cos I wiped 2 episodes of desperate houswives and 1 of footballers wives!!!!!

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The types of drive suitable really depends on which make of box you have, because Pace V2's are much less "picky" about drives than Amstrad's. Almost any IDE drive up to and including 250GB will work in a Pace V2, but Amstrad's seem to like the Samsung 160GB drive (do a search on the threads on here for more information). If your box is 16 months old, it's almost certainly going to be a Pace V2.

Go to the Hummer website, and look at the Sky+ section - most of it is covered on there. The major pitfall which has caught a lot of people is the IDE cable - it's not very strong, and if you pull the cable instead of the plug, it can come apart. Also, you'll need a security Torx driver if you have a Pace V2. It's all covered on the Hummer site.

5. viewer

viewer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where does the 0 come from on the services menu. If I press service there is no "0" option available. When pressing 0 on the remote nothing happens. Am I missing something - how do you access housekeeping on pace 3