Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

hard disk DVDR as mp3 jukebox !?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MikeIOW, Mar 5, 2005.

1. MikeIOW

MikeIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,
    I'm currently blathering about considering what recordable DVD to go for, and I'm qiute taken with the Pioneers (DVR520H, etc) - I have a Pio amp and regular DVD which seem quite good.
    One thing I would like if I go for a DVDR with a hard disk would be to use it to house our mp3 collection - partly as backup for the computer, but also since I could then in theory use it as a jukebox for parties !!!

I cannot find anything specific in these forums on this: anyone know if this is easy to use on the Pioneer boxes, or indeed on any of the other 80GB+ hard disk DVD recorders ??

Many thanks
    Mike

2. MikeIOW

MikeIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    <bump>
    Anyone got one of these Pioneers (also 420/720/920) can tell me if you can play MP3 from hard disk ??!
    thanks
    Mike

3. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

Downloaded the manual from pioneer.co.uk and it seems that the only mention made of MP3 is in relation to playback from data CDs. There is no suggestion that it's possible to copy them to the hard drive.

Cliff

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    However it is possible to convert mp3's to dvd video files, if these can be copied to the hard drive then it is possible (in in a round about way).

5. MikeIOW

MikeIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Got the official answer from Pioneer (& sadly not the one I wanted !!): for info, it is
    "
    All Pioneer DVD players and DVD recorders have the ability to play MP3 audio from CD, you can not import the audio from an MP3 CD or a normal CD-Audio disk on to the hard drive of a DVD recorder.

The playback of the audio on a CDR with MP3 files on it is sequential and not random.
    "

If anyone else knows a hard-disk+DVDR unit that can act as a jukebox from the built-in hard disk, I'd love to hear !!
    cheers
    Mike

6. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer's new DVR-630H-S ?

7. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    MikeIOW - I would assume that Pioneer are referring to their current range. The following link to Pioneers web site definitely states the new model can act as a Digital Dukebox:

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=10726&taxonomy_id=45-133

I'm not sure if the new range has been officially released yet even though a few places have started offering some models for sale. From my experience, manufacturers help lines are ususally one of the least reliable sources of information for new models..

8. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. ~Voltron~

~Voltron~

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing to check is what type of media it can read an MP3 from.
    The first DVD/HDD machine I had would play MP3 from the HDD, but you could only load them from CDR. I have since upgradded and my new machine will read from DVDR, so now I can transfer more than 700 meg in one hit. Look at LG7000 series.