Hard disk camcorder -> Hard Disk DVD recorder through iLink possible ???

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by vvesk, Sep 16, 2007.

1. vvesk

vvesk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been looking around, but found no definite answer...

I am considering purchasing a HDD camcorder (not High Definition, though). I choose HDD for the convenience over DV tapes - nothing more. However, I want to be able to transfer the footage to my hard disk DVD recorder (Sony RDR HX1010) to burn DVDs.

I realised that HDD camcorders do not offer DV (iLink, IEEE1394) output, until I saw JVC MG575 which actually does.

Question: is it possible to control the MG575 through the iLink input of my (or any...) HD recorder to transfer footage to HD and DVD media?

I understand that this requires DV data to be sent from the camcorder to the HDR through iLink, so I think I understand the technical part, all I need to know is if anyone has actually done it.

:lease:

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I dont know the answer to that one but I think that the i-link provided is a by-product of JVCs technology in the HD HDD HD7 which records a variant of mpeg2 ( not unlike HDV , to HDD rather than tape) as alternative to USB

Even if it were possible to transfer to an HDD settop DVD recorder, will it ( the settop recorder) accept mpeg2 input direct to its HDD via firewire? The HDV camcorders can be controlled by Settop Recorder via firewire when you output from them as downconverted SD, but not when you try outputting HDV itself

I imagine the settop recorder will expect say, DV AVI which it will then encode to mpeg2 "on the fly" to its own HDD

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I'm pretty sure Senu is correct - the MG575 will use the ilink as a way to connect an external device (an external HDD as seen by a PC); as an alternative to USB.

Set top DVD recorders with Firewire are specificaly "DV" in, and the controlling works with DV cams only. (Or an HDV cam working in DV mode).

So I'm 99% sure you will not be able to control and record from the camcorder to your DVD recorder using the ilink connection.

4. vvesk

vvesk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theoretically, the camcorder could send dv output stream through iLink. I an not so sure about JVC putting the iLink there just as an alternative to USB 2. That just seems like a waste.

I was wondering if any 575 owner has actually tried it...

Thanks for the replies!

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I stand corrected; it is DV output on the MG575.

I'm not sure how the camera control will work when commands like rewind don't make any sense with a file based format.

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    It is a rather remarkable SD HDD camcorder in that it sports DV out and AV in S-video out mic in

DV out via its Everio dock is unclear to me though. My original point is that it records mpeg2.. How does that then become DV.. out?

Its manuals and brochure certainly raise the point about easy dubbing to a Settop recorder with i link ( via the Everio deck)
    HERE

But Mark has raised the point.. I-link transport control refers to the Pause play , rewind , fast forward of a tape transport deck.. not a file based HDD Mpeg2 format structure

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    It must convert to DV on the fly. That is possible.... HDV camcorders can convert on the fly to DV, and that is a harder job as they need to deal with rescaling as well.

But yea, I don't know what the settop recorder is going to think of it. My guess it will record from it but you'll need to control from the camcorder, no control from the recorder.

8. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    It does seem to be technology "borrowed" from the HD7. That camcorder also records HD mpeg2 to HDD but this is streamed via firewire as an "HDV compatible stream"