Hard day at work?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Trollslayer, Aug 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,748
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  2. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,070
    Thanks for posting that up. Reminds me of my grandfather and grandmother who lived through two world wars and the great depression.

Remarkable.

3. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27,397
    Only recently retired:

Poppy seller to retire after 97 years

Finally given an MBE.

Rosemary Powell, who began collecting for the appeal when it was started in 1921, passed away on 15 August, nine days after she was handed her MBE.

Now if she had been an athlete, footballer, singer, actor or celeb', they'd have had a photo on the front page of a tabloid.

4. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27,397
    Little old ladies and the military in the news today:

Woman, 85, polished live WW1 shells

A woman who cleaned and polished two military shells she had borrowed for a village show was shocked to discover they were live ammunition.

June Hill, 85, from Somerset, was offered the anti-aircraft rounds for an exhibition about World War One.

She was "thrilled" with the buffed shells and put them away in a drawer.

But they were later destroyed by the Army's Bomb Disposal team, leaving Mrs Hill "disappointed" at a lack of a centrepiece for her exhibition.

"I was organising an event at Berrow Village Hall for the Berrow and Brean Residents Association World War One exhibition," she said.

"After calling round local members to ask if they had something we could display, a friend offered two shells from their garage."

5. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,304
    Brilliant lady. Just a few weeks ago one of the last 'Spitfire Women' passed away. Click on the link to see her flying in a Spit.
    Mary Ellis, last surviving female WW2 Spitfire pilot, dies aged 101

They were a different generation, apart from fighting Hitler many went through years of deprivation in the 1920s as children. My Uncle Tom (yes Uncle Tom) started work at 12 years of age underground and didn't retire until he was 73. He died in 1991 at the grand old age of 99 years 10 months. My father, aged 14, started underground in 1932 as a collier's boy in the 2' 9'' seam of coal at the Abergorki Colliery. The collier had to pay the boys out of their own pocket, 6d was the going rate and on his first week the collier gave him an extra 6d because he didn't cry. My dad enlisted in the RAF in 1940 serving in the UK, Malta, Egypt and the Italian campaign.

My paternal grandmother was sent to work 'in service' on the Isle of Wight at 15 years of age unable to speak a word of English, Welsh being her first language.

How would the current snowflakes survive?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,748
    There was a quote in the BBC article "Sometimes I would take a Spitfire up to dance in the clouds". :thumbsup:

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,304
    Yes, her and some of the others were in a brilliant BBC documentary, I think. Who would not have loved to have taken any of these heros out on a dinner date and just let them recount their adventures.

8. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,059
    Totally agree, that is wonderful.

One Christmas I was with a few colleagues in the victory services club having dinner and drinks, and this old gent was dining by himself. We asked whether he would like to join us, and it was one of the best evenings with laughter and a sneaky tear as well.

9. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,748
    :cool:

10. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,989
    My next door neighbour is an ex Lancaster navigator. Sadly lost his wife of over 60 years a couple of years ago, and my wife and other neighbours have been looking after him ever since, as he’s a little frail now.

He tells of how he would be plotting their course every 3 minutes, in his ‘office’ with no windows. He did get to see Germany on occasion though - the flak frequently punctured enough holes in the fuselage that he was able to see the ground quite clearly!

Not Lancaster related, but Spitfire is released on the 10th September - Spitfire [Blu-ray] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DFRKHTP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_to-FBb9XA8C4B

11. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27,397
  12. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,304
    I knew a guy, log since gone, who was a navigator on Sunderland flying boats stationed at Pembroke Dock. Very intelligent man who learned French of a fellow crew member who had escaped from France in 1940. So proficient at French he went on to study it and taught it at grammar school level. He was also one of the official interpreters for the WRU when they played France in the 5 Nations.

13. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,304
    Here's another interesting character.
    William Wedgewood Benn, Viscount Stansgate, father of Anthony Wedgewood Benn. William was a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force who won the DSO and DFC. He was the pilot of the first aircraft to make a clandestine parachute agent drop behind enemy lines.

At the outbreak of WWII William volunteered for the RAFVR as a pilot officer in his early 60s. He quickly became a substantive pilot offer and rose through the ranks to become an air commodore. What makes his WWII record so remarkable is that he actually flew on bombing missions as an air gunner, probably being the oldest and highest ranking officer to do so.

14. mikes48

mikes48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,560
    Amazing some of these people who are still around after all these years - my Mum was a mechanic/fitter on Sunderland flying boats at RAF Wig Bay in the latter days of the war. She's nearly 94 now, and sadly has dementia. One of a dying breed, sadly.