1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Choice for Budget Home Cinema System

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Spriteman, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Spriteman

Spriteman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm looking for a nice, budget home cinema system but am struggling to choose between 3 contenders; The Toshiba SD-43HK, the Philips LX 3900SA and the Panasonic SC-HT520. This was actually suppose to be a Christmas present but that's not going to happen now. :(

So, the Panny is a solid unit and gets great reviews. However the big problem with that one is the lack of any digital in. Without it I'll only get surround from what's being played on the deck. No decoding of any (future) digital tv signal. A bit limiting really. I understand it has DPL2 but that it only functions for disc-based audio sources and not on external stereo inputs.

The Philips LX 3900SA is a bit of a dark horse atm. No reviews of it, although I'd hope that Philips make pretty good systems. Coax digital in is there so that's one box ticked. It also does DivX playback which would be a real bonus given I have a selection of DivX movies on CD that are, thus far, limited to playback on a 17" PC monitor. What is holding me back is the lack of any reviews. I'd like to know that the picture and sound are good and how it rates alongside the others.

Finally the Toshiba SD-43HK. I currently own a SD-330 and have been very pleased with it. The deck gets great reviews. The home cinema SD-43HK seems to be slightly less good although the reviews are still positive. It has an optical in but no DivX playback.

So basically I go from a system with excellent reviews but no digital in or DivX support to one with no reviews but both DivX and digital. The Toshiba sits in between and I suppose I could add a fairly cheap DivX capable deck at a later date. Although I have DivXs now so would benefit from playback straight away.

My budget is £200 so a £350 system is just not an option atm.

Your advice and opinions are welcomed :),

Dave
    --

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    head on over to the All in one's Forum abit lower down. you will get a better response and also there is alot of mention of all of these systems in there with pro/cons etc. also do a search of the whole forum for the model numbers and see what turns up

3. Spriteman

Spriteman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Switching forums