1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Boiled

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by raigraphixs, Jan 16, 2002.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,142
    Hi,

Does anyone know of any special edition of 'Hard Boiled' comming out soon, with extra materials, maybe dts and even a english language option?.

I can only dream, or do i have to get the current R2 version only.

rai

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Rai,

You asked: "Does anyone know of any special edition of 'Hard Boiled' comming out soon, with extra materials, maybe dts and even a english language option?."

Well, if you can locate a copy for a reasonable price, then go for the Criterion US (Regiopn 0) edition. However, it has been deleted for a long time, so any copies you do locate, will not be cheap.

Alas, a "definitive" version of this movie, has not yet appeared on DVD. Simply put, all versions released thus far, are different in one way or another, and this is normally down to widescreen prints, soundtracks, censorship and picture quality. On Jenz's (nearly defunct) Bullets n Babes website, he did a comparison of all the HB editions, and concluded that only the Criterion version could be recommended.

To be honest, I'd actually go for the Tartan Video UK home video version, as the print is reasonable for video, and it is subtitled, with over an hour of extras on the end of the movie. And it won't cost more than £16 or £17 from most decent video stores. (Me, recommending a video! :eek: )

One question I do have to ask is why in God's name would you want the English-dubbed version of this seminal movie? The dub is totally pathetic, even as dubbed-films go, and is completely unfaithful to the Woo original.

The current UK DVD versions, are:
    - a 4:3 Pan and Scan, dubbed into English edition, which has some censorship, with a bog-standard stereo soundtrack, or
    - a widescreen 2.35:1, subtitled version, which is uncut, but not from a great print, with some extras.

Hope this helps.

Pooch

3. Rindless

Rindless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Let me clarify the HARDBOILED situation.

The best available dvd of this film is the FOX LORBER (NTSC) release.

The criterion dvd had some different extras but the print was a little darker. (now out of print).

Tartan UK released a non anamorphic English dub version (it was UNCUT and 1.85:1 correct aspest ratio widescreen)
    (Those who claim that this dvd was cut and 4:3 have only read the mis-leading cover information).
    I have the dvd here and it has the missing scene.

Tratan UK then released an anamorphic 1.85:1 widescreen subtitled version.
    PROBLEM ?
    They simply enhanced the exising print (not the negatives) resulting in the blurred, soft image.
    The subtitles are burned in to the print and therefore not removable.(very dark print too).

Buy the Fox Lorber because the dvd has some nice extras, removable subs and an English Lang soundtrack

4. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,142
    HI,

Thanks Rindless,

Where would I get info on getting the Fox Lorber version?. Any websites?.

Cheers

rai

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Rindless

Rindless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: