Happy with auto setup on Onkyo 606 ?

Shaun666

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've always thought since I first set it up that the rear speakers in my system were probably too loud but I quite enjoy having "big" surround sound so I've pretty much left it as it is apart from boosting the centre a little bit.

However last week I was watching Ratatouille on Blu and noticed it had an audio test in the special features. It relays sound to each speaker in turn and the rears were significantly louder than the fronts and centre.

I then did the same test as described in the Onkyo manual and all speakers sounded as if they were at the same volume.

Anyone else found the auto settings to be unbalanced ?

I thought the same as you Shaun.......

I'd had a Denon Amp for the last 3 or 4 years, before replacing it with the 606 just after Christmas. After I'd run the auto setup, I did notice that the rears sounded noticeably louder than they had with the Denon. I'm happy with it though, as I seem to be getting far more effects from the rears than I did before, so it feels like a more immersive sound to me.

I've left my centre at the level it set it at - the only thing that seems a bit louder than before is the sub, but I'm guessing that's because it has set all my speakers (KEF 1005s) to 80hz for crossover, whereas I think I had them set to 100hz on the Denon.

Ian.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom