Happy times

12harry

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a silly-billy thread for others to post thoose happy times when we manage to get a particularly good vid shoot, or buy some gear, at an excellent price.

I have TWO such purchases: Supplimenmtary W/A lenses bought at £5 each and marked 0.42 super wide. These should screw into the filter-thread of lenses....the difference is one is "night vision" and makes the centre normal, but there is an outer field which is green. Fortunately, the other lens doesn't have this silly colouration - and appears to work well indoors even on the telly, in a corner. The angle is about twice the 18mm (wide end) of my 3:1 zoom (18-55) - and rather means I shan't need to buy a supplimentary £90 Sony lens . . .. always thought they were over-rated but looking through the viewfinder it looks pretty sharp. However, I'm not sure Super W/A really is about "sharp" as long as it's not fuzzy - which would be silly.
Strangely, it produces a hopless image with the 16mm WA (fixed) Sony lens, but that is what the "sony supplimentary" lens is for. So, in conclusion it looks like these lenses work very well with the Zoom, set about mid-way there is only minor corner cutoff on 16:9

I bought a Sony battery - for next to nothing (car-boot sale), but didn't have my camera with me - and it's the wrong fititng, although otherwise similar size..... still it was under a fiver. I may be able to give it away to a friend, or swap. etc. Pity is I can't charge it to keep it in good condition. It is my contention that manufacturers should not be allowed to produce so many "different" battery fittings....Huh!
-Where is the IEC?

I looked at its connections under a Lupe ( with a fab graticule, measuring linear inch/mm and angles in 2deg steps, it's a very decent device, with adjustable focus for your eye, metal rings and all. I intend to fit an LED light-source. This wasn't cheapo but not excessive, either.
The four battery connections are marked + - and D C.
However, only + - and C are fitted with contacts.... the battery is Branded "infoLithium", so I'm guessing it is C=centre, which leaves me wondering what that "info-" is all about?

A good day out and brought home some other bargains - like LED package; 2 for £1 - each is complete with batteries, box, switch and six "rainbow" LEDs - these appear to be wired in parallel, so both could run from one supply. Each "Rainbow" effect starts differently, so I guess there is a small chip which is given a different start-pointer in the table.
No idea what I'll use them for, but at that price the battery-box is worth the money. Each also has a large steel ring with a plastic tissue covering - so it might make a soft-light, if I can blag some lamp-holders. Overall dia just under 2ft.

Also a high-pressure air hose, with fittings and reel at £3 - Humm. I couldn't resist it as I have a 2-cylinder ex-WD compressor - only needs a motor and some work fitting together, belt etc. oh yes, pressure switch, reservoir cylinder - and - - - arrgh!

PS I don't normally have such success throughout one day.

I sense The List is getting longer!

Last edited:
I wanted a panasonic TM900, was in 'Best Buy' for £850 but I got them to price match it for £750 (the actually sold it for £740). Unfortunately it was faulty, so I rec'd a new one at home and took the faulty one back to store AND rec'd a 32gb card for free for my troubles from the manager! In addition, Panasonic give you £50 cash back at present (via an application form) so felt like a had a truly great deal.

Ironically, the store manager checked my returning box and we both missed the battery which I put on the new model to test it out before I returned the old one to the store, so I went back to the store to return it. That day the stores had been told told they are closing down and the mgr said "not to worry and keep it!!"

What a true bargain :)

Honesty and a bargain all round. Yes I've heard BB are not expanding - that's where I bought my NEX5 and Sony WA lens (which takes the WA Sony adaptors - there are two: Fisheye (like mine) and plain Wide (less effect but retains full frame, DYOR).
I guess a 32G card is a great help - I've bought only Class 10, 16G, being best price-ratio.
Extra battery is v. useful, too. The Sony one is just 1 hr, although with care can last a day. I have three about £10 each, but I think the Pana are somewhat pricier . . . another reason not to buy (and for my circumstances - I wanted interchangable lenses).

You should be Very Pleased.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom