Happy New Year!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by gwbailey, Jan 1, 2001.

1. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me,it has got to be the packaging these favourite little discs of ours come in. I mean whats with the crapy sticky tape on the top?

some times it's a nightmare trying to get the discs out!!! (I hate the stuff!)

I don't know about you but I want to get to my DVD's ASAP.

2. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeh I almost forgot,

I'am also sick of studios bringing films out on a certian date, only to be told that there will be a DTS,SE,Super Mutts Nutts version coming out three months after I've bought the first version.

Crafty money grabbing B*#$*~#@ds!!!!

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Morning, Afternoon, Evening!

Hope everyone had a good night, even if (like me) you didn't go out anywhere! Also hope that none of you are regretting anything you may have done last night ;-) !

Anyway, just thought it would be interesting to ask you these two questions, regarding the world of DVD in 2000.
    1) What was the highlight for you? Was it the "Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition" disc that rocked you; or maybe you were glad to see a certain actor/actress/director fail miserably in some way? Did the quality of DVD's really give you a natural high, and make you feel all warm inside, or is there something else?

2) What was the DVD low of the year? Were you really ****ed at Region 2 DVD's being of such awful quality, devoid of extras, with 4:3 prints with pictures so clear, they made mud look like diamonds? Or was it the lack of originality in DVD films? Maybe you were cheesed-off that your fave film was announced, then withdrawn from the 2000 DVD release schedules? Go on, tell all!

Finally, what are you most hoping will happen to DVD in 2001? More R2 releases? Cheaper import prices, perhaps? Or maybe, you're just praying that someone, somewhere will finally release the "Star Wars" Trilogy on DVD, or grab Spielberg to do an audio commentary?

I look forward to reading all your comments!

Pooch

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Ok, so I'll start the ball rolling:-

1) The highlight for me was probably receiving some of the many Region 1 DVD magazines/catalogues through the door, and seeing the amount of choice available to me at the click of a mouse-button. Having had my Pioneer multi-region 626D DVD player for a year now, the thousands of R1 titles that exist, is totally awesome! There are simply so many films I want, but simply can't afford yet!

2) One of the (many) lows for me personally, was the constant rescheduling of Region 2 DVD's. Why can't companies decide on a realistic date, rather than announcing stuff months in advance, only to arrive at the date and have Mr or Mrs HMV say "Sorry, they've put the release date back for another 6 weeks!" This really does hack me off, big-time! Also, the total farce that was the same-day, world-wide DVD release date for "Gladiator". Pre-orders for the Region 1 DVD arrived upto 2 weeks earlier, making Dreamworks idea a complete mockery!

Lastly, Warner Bros. need to get their arses into gear in a major way! With some of the best films in their vaults, they are releasing some of the laziest DVD titles around, almost devoid of extras, with not-that-great audio and visual quality, and to really kick-the-viewer-in-the-nads, they place the discs in cardboard, to maximise any lasting damage that will occur to the artowrk and disc itself! It's not clever, Warners! Stick to Amaray cases, and give us 16:9 widescreen DVD's, with loads of extras, and stop re-releasing the same film every three to four months, as you've done/are doing with "Blade Runner"! Simply do the job right, first time, you stupid pillocks! I really hope they get this message, and start acting on it, because it's such a lame way to show off the ultimate home cinema format, both in presentation, and actual physical audio and picture quality!

Ok, that's the rant over with!

Pooch.

P.S. And get "BABYLON 5" out on DVD NOW!!!!!