• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Happy Days

ksten

I've not entered the competition for a while, but I thought that I really ought to get an entry in for a month with no theme! If you've seen the "Inspiration and Learning" thread earlier this month then you'll know my personal and ongoing theme at the moment is my daughter, Maisie. Rather than submit one of the earlier photographs though I made a new one for the competition.

I do enjoy the playing in lightroom and photoshop side of this hobby as much as the making and taking of images, but to try and keep within the limits of the "minimal PP" stipulation, I did my best to get the composition and lighting correct in camera. I also set myself the goal of only developing the RAW file in LR (I.e. no photoshop) and used the "Camera Faithful" picture profile as my starting point. I also limited myself to just two minutes in LR.

I tried to limit myself to just global adjustments which would be similar to choosing one of the in camera profiles (I.e. the camera doing the PP rather than me). These changes consisted of white balance, colour saturation, contrast and sharpness.

However, I couldn't stop myself from adding one local adjustment to Maisie's face to brighten it and add a touch of clarity. This is not something that could be done selectively in camera so I may have done too much PP for this competition. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on where you would draw the line.

Having said all that, the export to JPG and upload to Flickr took longer than the actual PP and certainly longer than the actual setup which took the best part of thirty minutes!

Anyway, here's the photograph. It's the first time Maisie has experienced a bubble machine and she was overjoyed with it as you can probably tell:

Happy Days
[imglink]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3326/3563523207_4dfb0d66e5.jpg[/imglink]

Canon EOS 30D
1/8000
f/2
ISO100
50 mm

Full PP (Including all of the individual LR settings) and the lighting setup are available on the Flickr photo page.

By the way, if I had been allowed more PP on this I probably would have tidied up the slobber on her face, added a subtle vignette to the bottom to take the attention away from the "Bumbo" and maybe even cloned out any bubbles that were cut by the edge of the frame.

Cheers.

Last edited:

electrolyte

This is a lovely photo Keith but not a patch on this one that you also took this month. I think if you'd entered that one you would have romped home, easy. Certainly the best photo I've seen this month.

The composition of your actual entry seems a bit weak - the bumbo and the fact that her hands are cut off are a bit off putting.

ksten

This is a lovely photo Keith but not a patch on this one that you also took this month. I think if you'd entered that one you would have romped home, easy. Certainly the best photo I've seen this month.

The composition of your actual entry seems a bit weak - the bumbo and the fact that her hands are cut off are a bit off putting.

Thanks for the feedback Simon. I completely agree with the points you made about my entry - maybe I'll try a reshoot in a couple of months when she can sit up unassisted and I'll try to keep her hands in the frame.

I wanted to make a photograph specifically with the comp in mind though, rather than choosing a picture that I happened to have made in May. It was an enjoyable shoot even though the final result isn't as strong. Hey, there's always next month. :D

Thanks for looking.

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom