1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy bunny!.....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Placebo2, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Placebo2

Placebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all!
    Taken delivery of my new Pioneer 433MXE today. WOW!
    DVD pictures look 3 dimensional! Sky didn't look good to start with but played around with the settings and looks fine now, not as good as DVD but good.
    What settings are 433 owners using by the way?
    I've got it on mode 2, the other 2 nearly blinded me
    :cool:
    Set it up xia V.E. and it looks great!
    Big thanks to Netnix as well, got the plasma nice and quickly with delivery as promised!

Cheers,
    John

2. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    John,
    Well done on making a decision ! I have been choosing for 12 months now !
    Sorry about this but I have to ask a few questions.

Have you tried it in 4:3 mode ? Can you change the left/right bars from grey ?
    How is sky digital connected and do you find it to be similar quality to a 32/36" CRT, if so, I'm impressed. I was expecting to make some compromise on this.

Enjoy your purchase.:)

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,715
    Steve,
    Sounds like you're as bad at me at deciding! I've changed my mind so many times this week, think I'm gonna go for the Hitachi though, it's the right size for my living room, it's the right colour, it's cheap, you don't have to pay for extras like stands and terminal boards and it's excellent with DVD. I'm not particularly bothered about the quality with Sky Digital, it's when I sit down and watch a film that I wanna be impressed and with the Hitachi I think that will be the case. Might wake up with a different opinion tomorrow mind!

Andy.

4. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunately you cannot get rid of, or change the colour of, the bars when in 4:3 mode.
    Although it is annoying, i have to say that it hardly distracts from what is an altogether fabulous plasma- much better than the Panny!!:D

5. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Out of interest what modes does the Pioneer have? I currently have a 36" Phillips CRT and cannot stand stretched modes. If im watching 4:3 TV I generally use 14:9 mode which zooms in slightly and cuts the top and bottom. The Phillips ahas a 16:9 mode too which zooms in to the full widescreen width but cuts off too much top and bottom.

Does the Pioneer have any of these modes?

Also are all plasmas stuck with grey bars at each side when viewing 4:3? (sounds very distracting)

Cheers

Deks

6. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    got my MXE about 3 days ago. I haven't found a way to change the colour of the side bars to black in 4:3, but honestly, I think I will never watch in 4:3.

I find ZOOM to be the best, albeit cutting a bit of top/bottom, it preserves original aspect ratio pretty well. Also most of the time in ZOOM you get rid of annoying logos.

I haven't played with the setting yet, but I will try this Avia disc for calibration.

7. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can change the colour of the sidebars on the panasonic plasma's, don't know about the rest. :)

John.

8. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yipes Giorgio, I assumed there would be a way to change the bars to black from grey! I would want 4:3 material shown that way, so I don't think I could live with grey bars.

Oh God, 2 steps forward, 3 steps back! I was getting so close to choosing the Pioneer too!

Simon

9. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have a Panasonic plasma and have actually switched from black to grey bars to reduce the chance of burn-in. At least with grey bars you are exciting the phosphors to some degree, so you have a better chance of more even screen wear.

10. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simon,
    the only channel that I found myself watching in 4:3 is SkyNews, and that is for 15minutes only (after that you are in the "loop"). For that, the grey bars are not a problems.

for all the others, you get used to the WIDE format.

I believe that if you think of watching most of your channels in 4:3 than a good CRT is still the best.

11. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

You can change the grey bars to whatever colour you want but you have to go into the integrator menu (from standby. Press menu then the on button on your remote) scroll through to side mask and adjust the values to 0. This will give you black side bars.

This is just from memory. I think if you are in the 4:3 mode when adjusting you can see the colours change as you put in differing numbers.

Hope this helps

Lennyz

12. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Lennyz,
    Thank you for that, I can put the pioneer back on my list of screens to view when I get a spare day (again!).

Now I have to find a car body shop willing to spray the bezel silver, that was the only proviso for bringing a great big plasma into the house.

I will probably wait until Mid feb and see if the new DVI + Key Digital card is available for viewing.
    Steve.

13. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought there was a rumour that Pioneer were going to do the bezel in silver?...or did you want it matched to something?

I was originally distraught when Giorgio (Saggio) said he couldn't change the bars to black - I would have hated grey bars and I've never been able to get used to stretched images even on my 32" CRT, so thanks for the info Lenny.

Simon

14. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    swarrans,
    I have been checking plamas for a while and have found that I too prefer a 4:3 image when 16:9 produces distortion etc. So I am very pleased that you can change the bars. Thanks for the info.
    That said, one member has quite rightly pointed out that setting them to black for an extended period may produce screen burn.
    I may take that chance, especially for the relatively rare periods with SKY digital that I should be using it in 4:3.
    As far as the bezels go, no I am not attempting to get a match, but the only information I have so far implies that as this is the 'professional' model it has been decided to only supply with grey bezel.
    I don't know about anyone else, but this is furniture and as such the colour of the case has to have approval.:)

SKY today confirmed that they do not have any short term plans to change sky news + sky one to widescreen (even though the majority of sky ones american programs are produced in 16:9).

Steve.

15. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi Steve,

I was informed by Joe Fernand that the 433MXE would be available with a silver bezel later this year - no definite date though I'm afraid :( I actually thought about waiting for a silver one, but after seeing the standard charcoal-coloured one, I decided to get one of those. I think the silver bezel would look better when the screen was off, but may be more distracting when watching a film in a darkened room.

Good old $ky...:rolleyes:

Steve

16. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all those paranoid about watching 4:3 - let's not forget that the majority of DVD flicks are in a ratio of 2.35:1 so you'll still have bars except they'll be horizontal instead of vertical..

You could always screen-save whilst in the ads!

..James