• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Happy 21st - World Wide Web

kav

Distinguished Member
Anyone here been using it since the start? I started using it in 1996 on a 14.4k connection via Netscape...it was awful. :)

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Think we started back in about '95 on a 9600 on Compuserve - it was awesome!

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Actually that's right - first ever use would have been about 1989/90, sending an email (to Santa of all people) from the school library. I remember being disappointed that you didn't have to lift the phone receiver and hook it onto the modem like in the movies :)

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member

Compuserve too. I then moved to Force9 for £9.99 a month and was still on 14.4k speeds. It was a big thing to move up to 28k and later Freeserve.

I remember buying the Net magazine and they had the estimated net users worldwide on the spine. I remember something like 3 or 4 million was printed one month.

Egg White

Distinguished Member
happy birthday...!

I first started using the web sometime in 95' whilst at Uni...and in 98' for a project did an intranet site for the computing dept at Uni...tho, was a very simple HTML site with a list of contacts, and timetables, etc... this had a netscape enterprise server on the back end too :)

wbabbington

Prominent Member
krish said:
First used it in 1994, ventured into a computer lab in Leicester University
- Mosaic browser and bloody long URLs with tildes (~), also used the Lynx text browser

The computer labs weren't much better when I was there in 1999!

1995 for me in High school using Netscape (always tried to find a Netscape computer over one running IE!) and using it to print out every REM guitar tab I could find.

smallclanger

Prominent Member
Actually that's right - first ever use would have been about 1989/90, sending an email (to Santa of all people) from the school library. I remember being disappointed that you didn't have to lift the phone receiver and hook it onto the modem like in the movies :)

Was that Email via WWW or are you getting the internet and WWW mixed up?

SevloW

Distinguished Member

Yeh me too in 1995 on a 9600, bought the children a Win95 pc for Christmas that year, thought Compuserve was great!. Then moved to AOL , Also used a few other ISP'S - Freeserve, a local one in Newbury which I forget the name of. Finally settled down with BT until a couple of years ago and then moved to Sky.

I do remember getting a phone bill from BT for around £350 once :eek: - son had to pay most of that back to me - bad boy !

I did have 'chat sessions' way back in the early 70's with various people around the globe including some US Marines out in Vietnam but that was via military networks.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Happy Birthday WWW.

First used around 1998 ish i think.

One of the greatest inventions in the history of the Human Race.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom